Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

United Kingdom Timezone setting

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello experts,

I've a stupid question about the United kingdom timezone setting in GA. There are 2 options - GMT (+00:00) (no daylight saving) and GMT (+00:00) London. My understanding is that the 2nd option (GMT (+00:00)) takes into account the British summer time, which is (GMT+01:00) since last Sunday - 27th March. But am I correct in thinking like this? The reason I'm asking this is the 2nd option isn't actually (GMT+01:00) and I've started noticing some discrepancies in the data between GA and Adobe analytics since the clock has gone forward by an hour last Sunday - 27th March. 

Many thanks in advance.

S

Re: United Kingdom Timezone setting

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Syed,
I do work on UK site and for all website I'm using GMT (+00:00) London and it is perfect. As far as discrepancies in the data between GA and Adobe is concern please check below article

http://www.searchdiscovery.com/blog/comparing-data-adobe-analytics-vs-google-analytics/

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1037215?start=0&tstart=0

I hope you will get better idea.

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Santosh,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the issues listed in these 2 links but this doesn't clarify whether Google analytics timezone setting - GMT (+00:00) London takes into account the summer time (GMT+1:00) or leaves it at GMT (+00:00). If GA leaves the time at GMT (+00:00) London, then the discrepancy might be due to the timezone setting because Adobe updates the timezone setting to GMT(+01:00) . I understand that there will always be some discrepancies between the web analytics tools but note - the discrepancies started to increase since the time changed last Sunday - 27th March.

I hope someone can clarify what happens to the GA timezone setting - GMT (+00:00) London when the clock goes forward by an hour for British summer time.

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I think GMT (+00:00) London does take an hour forward during BST into account but having GMT (+00:00) London is misleading. It should be GMT - London. I hope someone from GA product improvement team notice this.