Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

UA question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A couple of years ago, I set up Analytics for one of my websites with UA12345678-1 (not the real tracking code, but works for the example.). Everything is working fine. 

When I set up Analytics for a different website a couple of weeks ago, I somehow obtained a different tracking code. Really different -  UA13579135-1.  I have no idea how that happened, as I'm almost certain I set it up using the same google account as the first one.  I think it should have been UA12345678-2.  I am the owner of both websites, and want to track the analytics for both.  And, if it's at all possible, I don't want to lose the information google might have tracked using the code for the new site from the start up to the present.

I have thought of three possible ways of dealing with this, but would appreciate the thoughts of those who are more knowledgeable that I am.

1.  Is is possible to view the results for both UA's?  And if so, can you point me in the direction instruction on how to set that up in Analytics?

2.  If #1 is impossible, is it possible to  somehow transfer ownership of the new UA to a different Goggle account?  And how.....?

3.  If neither #1 nor #2 is possible, would simply changing the second UA to UA12345678-2 on the page at least allow me to view data from this point forward?

Thanks for any ideas.

1 Expert replyverified_user

UA question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

A single google account login can create/administrate up to 100 google analytics accounts

Each Analytics account will have a different UA-1234567 number

The Properties within an Analytics account will each have a tracking id based on the GA Account UA-1234567 + a Property number

eg UA-1234567-1 UA-1234567-2 etc

You mention everything is working fine for the one you created a couple of years ago..so I am assuming the newly created one was also created while using the same google account/login?

If so.. if you log into Analytics, click the analytics icon at the upper left of the interface,

it will take you to the analytics homescreen which lists all your analytics accounts, and if you click one, it 

should expand  to display any properties  housed within the account.. and then clicking on a property will then expand to show any Views belonging to property
Clicking a View will then take you into the reports for that View

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: UA question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bronwyn.  

My problem is that I somehow managed to get a totally different tracking code for the second site, not simply the same code with -2 or -3 at the end. When I set it up, I must have used a different google account, but I really can't figure out what it was, even though I've tried every possible google account I can think of and none seem to one that I used.

I've contacted google and they sent me instructions of how to prove ownership and gain access to the analytics for the new site.  I'm working on that now, and hopefully it will solve things for me. Hopefully that will happen soon.

It's good to know helpful people like you are willing to share your knowledge and experience. Thanks very much.

UA question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And with the help of google, I just now got access to the new site Hooray!  For anyone else who is having a similar problem, it appears that one google account can have access to tracking codes that do NOT simply append -2 or -3 etc to the original.  I now have access to two different analytics accounts with two totally different tracking codes. That makes sense to me, and it's good to know it can be done.

UA question

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi :-)))
Glad you have it sorted out. 

As per my first reply to you:

A single google account login can create/administrate up to 100 google analytics accounts

Each Analytics account will have a different UA-1234567 number

Properties within the same analytics account will usually have the same UA-1234567 appended with a different Property number at the end 

eta.. they have also now made it possible to move Properties from one Analytics account to another as well

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here