Analytics
2.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Types of Facebook referral traffic - what do they mean?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have referral traffic showing with the paths:

/

/l.php

/home.php

What do these terms mean?

There is a display ad campaign running as well, will this show as social traffic or referral traffic and how can I identify it please?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren R
November 2015

Re: Types of Facebook referral traffic - what do they mean?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello Lauren, hope you are doing great.

This are self refferals - very common problem usually it occurs when you are having problems with GA tracking code, probably some of your pages miss GA code or if there is small amount of such sessions, your visitors may have your website opened in their browser while they are on other websites. So when session expires in 30 minutes and user comes back to your website it's flaged as selfrefferal in GA.

Try to consolidate all tags using GTA if you have placed your GA code in other way:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

Your display campaigns must be displayed under Aquisition>Adwords>Display Targeting
Is you see that this data doesn't match with what you see in adwords, you can point our attention to that problem, right now I don't think it worth to worry about that problem.

Cheers,
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren R
November 2015

Re: Types of Facebook referral traffic - what do they mean?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello Lauren, hope you are doing great.

This are self refferals - very common problem usually it occurs when you are having problems with GA tracking code, probably some of your pages miss GA code or if there is small amount of such sessions, your visitors may have your website opened in their browser while they are on other websites. So when session expires in 30 minutes and user comes back to your website it's flaged as selfrefferal in GA.

Try to consolidate all tags using GTA if you have placed your GA code in other way:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

Your display campaigns must be displayed under Aquisition>Adwords>Display Targeting
Is you see that this data doesn't match with what you see in adwords, you can point our attention to that problem, right now I don't think it worth to worry about that problem.

Cheers,
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’