Analytics
4.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to remove a verified owner for a dead email address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am attempting to remove a verified owner (verified by Google Analytics) from my Search Console as the email address is no longer in use.

Can anyone help me with this? I am not that techy techy, so in simplistic terms would be great! 

TIA. 
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to remove a verified owner for a dead email address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Have they been removed from having access to the Account in Google Analytics?
They need to be removed from Google Analytics first otherwise the system will still see them as verified.

if they were verified via other methods as well.. those too need to also need to be removed

To delete an owner

You cannot permanently delete a verified owner (someone who as verified their ownership of a property), only a delegated owner, unless you also remove the verified owner's token from the source (for example, remove the HTML tag from the page or the token from the app manifest).

1. Choose a property in Search Console.
  2. Click the gear icon , then select Users & Property Owners.
  3. Click the Manage property owners link.
  4. In the Verified owners section, click Unverify next to the owner you want to remove. The change should take effect very quickly.

Ref: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2453966?hl=en&ref_topic=4564315

For further help with Search Console, best place to ask is on the Webmaster Central Help Forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for your response. 

On our Google Analytics, the old email address (which is a verified user on Search Console) is not there... Only the current address is. Thus, I cannot remove it...

Due to this, I cannot delete an owner as the Console says: 

"We weren't able to unverify ****@gmail.com. Google Analytics access still exists."

Any ideas? Been stuck on this for a while now :-( 

Thanks. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

When you are looking in analytics at the User Management settings, have you checked for the email address under the User Management options at both the GA Account .. and the GA Property levels

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes and the email address is still not there. 

A toughie right?! Still scratching our heads. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Is there possibly more than one tracking code on the site?
If so.. then you may not have access to the google analytics account/property thru which the other user has been verified and you would need to remove their tracking code snippet from the site instead.
Are you able to provide the website url so myself or someone can check the site via browser?