Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Trouble Supporting Google Accounts for Clients

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This may be more of a request than a question but ...

I freelance with clients located in a variety of regions (most are N. American based).  I'm in the US as well.  Most of my clients are aged 50+ and not tech capable at all (let alone tech savvy), so they often request that I set-up/access their analytics account directly (logging in as them) to manage it.  I would like to do this and link them back to my account for ease of management, sometimes this works, but often when I try to login as my clients (usually if they are in a different time zone - even though I have the correct login details, Google won't let me in).  Their accounts go into lock down mode and we have to waste a lot of time with me walking them through it all via phone (doesn't bother me as much as it does them).  Even when I have access to their email and provide the security code, still nada.

I GET IT it's a security feature, but try telling that to my boomer generation clients - they wind up frustrated (as do I).  And sure some nefarious party could have all the details that I do, but there has to be a better way.  And I doubt I'm the only freelancer with this issue.  If I'm logging into a client's email/website/Facebook/what-have-you, why is Analytics so funky - and is that really the holy grail of security areas online (I think not...).

Just had to vent a bit.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trouble Supporting Google Accounts for Clients

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Susan B,

As a badged Google Partner agency, we have to manage many Analytics accounts, too. What we do is create all of the properties in our Analytics account and then add the client as an authorized user of their account (not any others). We do the same for Facebook, AdWords, etc.. and this is best practices. By doing this, we are not signing in and out of various email accounts that do not belong to us. Google Analytics allows you to have around 100 properties (each website is a property), which is up from I think 55 in the past. When I log into Analytics, I see them all, and all with one login. 

Happy Friday!

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Of course, that's what I do with *new* setups and flexible clients. I think
I intimated that. These are accounts that are already setup, and have
existed for sometime. And in many cases the client wants what they want -
period (me using their account, and won't hear otherwise, that's
freelancing...)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Susan B,

You could add yourself as a user to their Analytics account? 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's the ultimate goal, but I can't get in to some of them in the first
place, and in some cases they don't want to do it themselves. Just a
freelancing quandary I suppose. That's why it was more a statement/gripe I
posted, than a question. C'est la vie.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I do understand.

Since this is a forum for discussion (not one-sided thoughts), I guess I wanted to be friendly & polite by responding. Sounds like you know the options with the accounts and have them where they are.

Kind Regards,

James