Analytics
2.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transitioning to new Analytics forums

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

(sorry, but there is not appropriate forum for this topic)

It is painfully frustrating that a company who pushes so hard to "make the web better" makes such a colossal mess of replacing their forums.

I searched for an analytics issue with plain ol' Google search. Find a beautiful product forums post on the exact subject I need help with. Click the link... end up on the homepage of this apparent new home for the Analytics forums. No explanation of why I am there, and certainly no link to the original topic I was trying to get to.

Which is a bit of a problem because there are so many answers in the old forums linked to from all over the web, all of which are lost. And the kicker is that Search is still linking to these things even when they don't exist.

Seriously Google, this is NOT cool. Please lead by example on your make the web a better place mission instead of just punishing websites who didn't get it technically correct per your semi-published definition.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transitioning to new Analytics forums

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan :-)
I feel your pain and agree with a lot of what you have said.

For what its worth, a lot of the information on the older help forums relates to the ga.js version of the tracking code,
which is now out of date and no longer applicable in most cases.

If you have questions or issues that you need assistance with, if you post here to the GA Advertiser Community, you can be sure you are getting current information in relation to the current version of code.

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
All frustration aside, this forum runs on third party software and is not built/maintained by Google.
There was definitely more room for migration planning but as Bronwyn mentioned, the bulk of the indexed articles and topics is largely obsolete and irrelevant to your use cases/issues.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
When I run into this exact issue in Google search results, I use the little green down arrow next to the URL and read the cached copy of the original post :-) on the old forum.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
(so do I Smiley Very Happy)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I tried that... though in this particular case the cache was 404. Go figure.
I did get advise elsewhere showing that Google forums actually use cloaking... you can use the link that Googlebot sees and the content is still there. The JS level redirect only happens for end users. So if Google does cloaking it's ok. Anyone else, even if doing something that looks like cloaking (but isn't) is summarily banned and their business is kaput. Animal Farm anyone?

Anyway, you'd think at least the redirect would lead to a page explaining why they are where they are. But apparently I'm expecting too much Smiley Indifferent

Anyway, thanks for the responses all.