Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transferring historical data from old site to new site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our client had an existing site with analytics enabled but when they developed a new site, they lost all historical data. I have the analytics script from the old site but is there a way to use that script on the new site as well so we can see historical data in comparison to the new site data? Thank you! 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Megan,

Normally, they should not lose their historical data in GA by unless they delete the account, property or view. You can use the same tracking snippet to continue collecting data to same GA property but If the URL structure is changes in the new website, it also make sense to create a new property. 

I hope this helps.

Re: Transferring historical data from old site to new site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I don't know why they have stopped seeing that data but I was
really hoping we could just transfer it to the new site but they do have a
new URL so maybe we just need to figure out why they lost access (they
changed developers as well so it could be something with the previous
developer disconnecting their access or something) and fix that. If I run
into any other problems, I'll be back with another question! Thanks for
your timely response!

Megan

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You are welcome Megan!

It is not possible to remove collected Google Analytics Data by a developer. S/he can only remove the GA tracking snippet. In this case, GA stops tracking but historical data stays.

You might lose your data if

- Someone who has manage access or (GA management API access) to your GA account might have deleted your GA Account, property or view.

- Someone who has manage access to your GA account might have removed your access to your GA Account, property or view.

Please check a wider date rage that (such as 6 months or more) to see if you really lost your data.

I hope this helps you to solve your problem. Just let us know when you need further help!

Regards