Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transferring a property to one of my other acccounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have many properties and accounts in Google Analytics for myself and my clients. Is it possible to transfer a property from one of my accounts, to another of my accounts?

The problem is that I have many properties (different clients) under my main account, and one of them needs EDIT permissions to their site. Trouble is, I have to give them these permissions at the ACCOUNT level - which gives them permission to edit all my other clients. Obviously I can't do that.

I figure the easiest way would be to create a new account for them, and then transfer the property over. That way I could give them edit permissions for just THEIR website. From what I can see, this is not possible though.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Can I give them edit permissions to JUST THEIR SITE, rather than the entire account?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transferring a property to one of my other acccounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Google recommends (somewhere) that each client get their own Google Analytics account. This is because it is not possible to transfer a Web Property from one account to another, and clients tend to want to take their analytics data with them if they change agencies.

You should be able to grant them Edit at the Web Property level. Edit a the Account level is only required for new filters.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep, hindsight is a wonderful thing.  But that doesn't address the issue I posted. Thanks anyway.

Anyone have a solution ? I see from a quick google search I'm far from the only one with this problem.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
To clarify the two points I made regarding your situation:
1. you cannot transfer a property in Google Analytics, so that avenue is closed.

2. you can grant Edit permissions at the property level.
User Management is available at the Account, Property and View levels. With Edit permission at the Property level, they can create new goals and views and manage their property settings, They can also create new custom dimensions and metrics, manage links to AdWords, perform data imports, and manage their ecommerce settings.
They cannot create new filters.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike, I'm aware of (#1). Hopefully google will look at fixing that someday.

I'm also aware of (#2), but unfortunately creating new filters is precisely what they want to do.

It does seem there is no solution. Thought it was worth asking though, just in case.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perhaps someone could comment on this then.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6370521?hl=en

This appear's to suggest it is possible to transfer a property between accounts.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Unannounced and not available functionality. Must be coming soon...I do not know. Will make lots of people happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So is it working now ? 

Will we lose data during the process ? I cannot find the information.

Thanks in advance

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Yes, this feature is now generally available. It appears in the Admin page for the property > Property Settings. There is a 'Move property' button in the upper right corner, and it takes a few minutes to transfer everything.

You do not lose any data.

Here is the help page:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6370521?hl=en