Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transferring Analytics Data and Consolidating Google Accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello to whoever's kind soul that will help me through this dilemma! 

I'm in a deep deep spider web of a company's social media presence. I am trying to tie together the many social media accounts and pages that were created by various employees over the past decade. We use Google Analytics and Google+, which is then tied to our YouTube page. So, I need to do the following:

1. Transfer Google Analytics from an old Google+ account to a new Google+ account 
  2. Get rid of old/not needed Google+, Youtube, Analytics accounts and associated pages

I've already spent hours searching through forums and contacting Google support phone numbers. One forum led me to believe that I needed a Google Apps account to make everything seamless, so I created one and then instantly realized that that wasn't going to help me. Called the Google Apps support team, and my requests were 'outside of their range of support'. 

To be quite honest, this is totally outside of my expertise and job description. I was just given the task because I'm the youngest in the office and presumably "know social media". I am usually quite resourceful with troubleshooting unfamiliar platforms and programs, but this dilemma has me going in circles. 

Any advice or direction of where I may find an answer will be SO appreciated. 

Thank you for reading!! 

- Kara 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Theorem S
November 2015

Re: Transferring Analytics Data and Consolidating Google Accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kara, sorry to hear about your dilemmas!

Let's try to help you get this sorted out.

So to clarify the problem you are having, you need to transfer your GA account from one Google login to another, correct? To do this, you just need to create a new Google associated login, and then in GA, you need to grant this new Google login with full admin rights. You want full admin because eventually you want to deprecate the existing login (feel free to clarify).

To deactivate your Google+ and possibly associated accounts, you will need to log into your Google Account (https://myaccount.google.com), and then under Account Preferences, select "Delete your account or services". Let me know how you fare.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Theorem S
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kara, sorry to hear about your dilemmas!

Let's try to help you get this sorted out.

So to clarify the problem you are having, you need to transfer your GA account from one Google login to another, correct? To do this, you just need to create a new Google associated login, and then in GA, you need to grant this new Google login with full admin rights. You want full admin because eventually you want to deprecate the existing login (feel free to clarify).

To deactivate your Google+ and possibly associated accounts, you will need to log into your Google Account (https://myaccount.google.com), and then under Account Preferences, select "Delete your account or services". Let me know how you fare.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Nicky appears to have this covered
really it should not be that hard.
you just get the gmail account you want to be the master then set about adding it to all the other accounts
then you use it to kill off the old gmail logins or the whole account depending on what needed and what's not.

I had to laugh out loud at your 'I'm just doing this because I'm the youngest' that is so funny and so common.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

Thank you so much. I was able to login to the correct Gmail account on analytics and add the new gmail account, so that Analytics shows up on our update Google+ page. I'll eventually go back and remove users, once I am sure they are unnecessary.

Still trying to transfer verification on Google+. Unfortunately, the former employee who set it up made their personal Gmail account the owner of our Google+ page. So, I'm guessing I need to wait until I get in contact with him to transfer ownership.

Thank you for your guidance!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Still trying to figure out the Google+ verification transfer, but I accomplished the Analytics task. (see longer response to Nicky) I had to laugh at myself too after taking a deep breath and coming back to the problem this morning. Trying to decipher which of the 5 logins are the right one for ownership was really the problem all along.

Thanks for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is *exactly* what I want to do.

I tried it a year or two ago and couldn't figure it out. Today I was feeling lucky & thought I'd try again. Nope two hours later & I want to throw the computer at the wall.

Apparently a CS degree & 20 years as a devops isn't enough experience to merge two google accounts. Awesome!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Sean H,

I feel sorry for your computer. Smiley Sad

Why don't you share a bit more about your scenario, and I'll see if we can help you out. What is it your are trying to accomplish and what is your current set up looking like?

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The hard part for me was finding the right menu/page to do this.. Finally found it, so sharing for others:
While logged into Analytics, go to menu "Admin" then "User Management". There you can add gmail accounts that should have access to the Analytics data, and control permissions for each account. Once a gmail account is added here, you/they can login to google analytics with that gmail account - the same data will be visible from multiple accounts.