Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transfer ownership of an Anaytics account I can't log into

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have a website that was set up with GA long ago; so long ago that the company can't remember who initially set up the tracking, which means that no one remembers the login information, either. We have tried all different things and different logins, but nothing has worked.

Is there any way to contact Google with proof that we own the website and get the ownership of the old account transferred to someone currently within the company? I've tried calling various numbers and reaching out to different areas of Google, but no one has given me a straight answer. All I want to know is if this is possible, and if so, who I can contact directly to get it sorted out.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transfer ownership of an Anaytics account I can't log into

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kelsey :-)

Sounds like you need to try an account recovery, there is a comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about doing this (its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Thanks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I need to perform the same thing. I have the Analytics ID for a web site I built long ago, but have no idea what Google account it was originally set up under. I tried the link above but that just links to AdWords help and an AdWords customer feedback form (ala "how are we doing?). I dont want to submit feedback. I need help specific to my problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Chris :-)
You will need to create an Adwords Account in order to access the account recovery help.

The Adwords account does not need to be active or have any campaigns setup etc. it can be an inactive, empty account.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

I just read everything over and it sounds pretty straightforward. I appreciate you getting back to me. I'll try all of this out either later today or tomorrow, and if I have any other questions I will let you know.

Thanks!
Kelsey