Analytics
4.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Transfer Account Ownership without the Admin Access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have to solve a problem with the account ownership which seems pretty tough. My company used to have an employee who set up a GA account for couple of our websites. Unfortunately, this former employee did this using his private google account. More unfortunately, this employee passed away some time ago. We have access to the GA account using another private google account of a colleague of the former employee, however, this account is not an administrator of the GA account.

The ideal scenario would be to claim the ownership of this GA account and transfer it to our new company-managed google account, as this mess in private-based ownership is stupid anyway. Is there any possibility to proceed this way? I suppose we would have to prove somehow that we are the actual owners of the GA account etc. Also, it would be pretty unfortunate to start from scratch with a new tracking ID, as the stats are being gathered for a pretty long time already.

Any help would be really appreciated, as I found no way how to contact Google directly on any (official) level.

Cheers,

Jan

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jan A
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jan :-)
Sounds like you may need to try an account recovery. Having said that, it does not guarantee getting admin access at the account level. 
You will need to create an Adwords account as the support options are only available while signed into an Adwords account. It doesnt cost anything to do this and there does not need to be any advertising compaigns etc setup within the Adwords account
There is a comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about the account recovery process
(its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Thanks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn!

Thank you for your reply! I was successfully able to gain the access to the account(s) using the procedure you described. Actually, I was able to call the support phone number for Google AdWords free of charge and even reached a support agent speaking Czech language, perfect. If I knew that it was possible to contact someone directly, it would be solved even faster.

Anyway, thanks again!

Cheers,

Jan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jan, 

I am so happy I came across your post from January.  Your situation is quite similar, only the admin on my google account did not pass away...it is my ex fiance's brother who will not work with me saying he hasn't worked on my account in years, and therefore won't grant me admin access.  

He created my account 6 years ago and I realized a year ago that I was not the admin for my own email!  I realized when I tried adding an email address for my first contract worker.  And I just realized a moment ago, I do not even have access to Google Analytics for my website Smiley Sad  So trying to figure something out.

What a nightmare it has been...but then I came across this thread.  Praying the suggestion from Bronwyn works for me! 

Any other suggestions that you may have, I would appreciate greatly!

Best, 

Jenn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn, 

Would your suggestion also work with an admin who will not work with me but controls the email for my business.  I realized a year ago I was not the admin (didn't even know that was even a thing) when I tried creating an email address for my first contract worker.  Did not have access.

I just realized today I do not have access to Google Analytics.  I've had my business for almost 7 years.  The admin is my ex-fiance's brother and when contacted a year ago regarding the email issue, he said he hasn't worked on my account in years. 

Will I ever be able to own the email address for my business?

Thank you in advance, 

Jenn

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jennifer C if he hasnt used or worked on the analytics account in years

a) it my no longer exist.

b) if it were to exist there is no gaurentee of historical data in it either,

if it had been configured incorrectly (for example).

You can try an account recovery. Often a site owner if needing administrative access of the analytics account, they will need to simply create a new analytics account via your own google account and set that up on the relevant site instead.

regarding: Will I ever be able to own the email address for my business?

I dont know, I dont work for google and this thread is only in relation to an 

account recovery of google analytics account..not the recovery of a google or gmail

account.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for responding Bronwyn!!!  I appreciate it so much!  

I'm going to start a new thread to see if I get some feedback on the transferring of my account to me, the business owner!  This is my top concern.  Having my business name at the end of my email address (after the "at" sign) is super important to me.

Really happy I found this community!  I feel like there just may be some way to figure it out!  

Enjoy your sunday!

Jenn Smiley Happy