Analytics
3.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic data missing for entire month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Trying to figure out why my sites traffic data is missing (or "0") for an entire month and then shows users again. It's a small business, and we don't get a lot of traffic, but we don't have it filtered so if anything it should be showing our internal traffic. We only created our analytics account in May, it shows traffic for a few weeks, then in June it flat-lines for about a month, then picks back up again. 

Any ideas or suggestions on how we can resolve this issue?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kaitlyn M
August 2016

Re: Traffic data missing for entire month

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kaitlyn M :-)

Have you checked that the tracking code is correctly installed on all the website pages?
This can be done by using a browser addon such as Google Tag Assistant to check your site 

pages https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk
Instructions here on how to use it:
https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947095?hl=en&ref_topic=6000196

Were any website edits made during that time, that may have removed the tracking code from the site?

Have any filters been applied and then removed (this can be checked by clicking on Admin tab at the top of the

GA Interface, selecting the Account from the drop down in the first column and then clicking on and checking back

through the Account history.

eta - date ranges that have no data in the reports will stay empty

You can setup custom alerts to notify you of changes to traffic. More info on custom alerts can be found here in the help docs

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033021

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help! I did have the tag assistant installed and yet somehow missed that it wasn't added properly. Our web manager originally added it but obviously not correctly.. I'm not sure how if it was done incorrectly that data would have still been showing up?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

Bit hard to say without knowing how it was initially added etc. Some data may have been getting collected, some may have been getting missed.

Sometimes spam data can be injected into reports, its not real data from real site visitors.
I strongly suggest reading the following article, it will familiarize you with the different types of spam data that can occur
and will teach you how to setup filters to help prevent the problem occuring in the future, and segments to look at past data
that has possibly been affected this way
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will definitely take a look at that. Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can prevent this from happening in the future.

Traffic data missing for entire month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had this same problem. However, to further clarify, the month of data had been there, from about 300 visitors, for 2 full months. So October suddenly zeroed out, but not November, and not September.  I did in fact try to create a filter to remove spammers by listing several domains, and was careful to apply it to the right view, but now the filter I created is nowhere to be found. The data is also not in the "All website data view". It's as if some bug related to creating a view impacted a single month and nothing else.