AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Please, I need your opinion regarding what is best regarding tracking implementation between main domain and sub-directory. 

To explain more, I have this website www.forex.com. This website has many languages.

www.forex.com/ar

www.forex.com/fr

www.forex.com/de

www.forex.com/my

Can anyone tell me please what is good? Is to create one property ID only Or I create Property ID for each language.

Looking to hear from you.

Best

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Omar,

Google Analytics will automatically receive data about the language of the user. For example, by going to Audience > Overview, sessions are broken down by country and language.

Therefore, you should only create one property because GA will capture all of these language sub-directories automatically.

Hope that helps!
Maitri

Re: Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Omar,

I'd suggest using a single property.
If you want to track the traffic to subdirectories separately you can create a view for each and set up an include only traffic to subdirectory filter. You can have up to 25 views for a property. Please check the document below about filters:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if you want to report on the separate directories within the domain, within one view for different business units for instance.  Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Janice D you can use an Advanced Segment (conditions or sequences) in order to do that.

It helps you figure out all the sessions where users have visited a particular subdomain or multiple subdomains on your website within a given time period. It also helps you figure out all the users who have visited a particular subdomain or multiple subdomains on your website within a given time period.

If you're looking for a solution that helps you build custom reports and dashboards, I highly recommend to take a look at the Google Data Studio - this is an amazing tool! There you can also apply segments and filters to your reports or dashboards.

Hope this helps.
Taavi