Analytics
4.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Please, I need your opinion regarding what is best regarding tracking implementation between main domain and sub-directory. 

To explain more, I have this website www.forex.com. This website has many languages.

www.forex.com/ar

www.forex.com/fr

www.forex.com/de

www.forex.com/my

Can anyone tell me please what is good? Is to create one property ID only Or I create Property ID for each language.

Looking to hear from you.

Best

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Omar,

Google Analytics will automatically receive data about the language of the user. For example, by going to Audience > Overview, sessions are broken down by country and language.

Therefore, you should only create one property because GA will capture all of these language sub-directories automatically.

Hope that helps!
Maitri

Re: Tracking sub-directories on Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Omar,

I'd suggest using a single property.
If you want to track the traffic to subdirectories separately you can create a view for each and set up an include only traffic to subdirectory filter. You can have up to 25 views for a property. Please check the document below about filters:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162?hl=en
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if you want to report on the separate directories within the domain, within one view for different business units for instance.  Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Janice D you can use an Advanced Segment (conditions or sequences) in order to do that.

It helps you figure out all the sessions where users have visited a particular subdomain or multiple subdomains on your website within a given time period. It also helps you figure out all the users who have visited a particular subdomain or multiple subdomains on your website within a given time period.

If you're looking for a solution that helps you build custom reports and dashboards, I highly recommend to take a look at the Google Data Studio - this is an amazing tool! There you can also apply segments and filters to your reports or dashboards.

Hope this helps.
Taavi