Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking direct traffic (redirect url vs real url)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

The site I have been tracking has a URL of "savvyvideoproductions.com". However, on flyers we have been advertising the shortened "getsavvy.tv," which once typed in goes directly to the first URL. As of now, when someone types them in it comes up as "Direct traffic" on the anlaytics site. Is there a way using Google Analytics to differentiate between the two URLs to see who is coming to the site from which URL?

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vivian F
May 2016

Re: Tracking direct traffic (redirect url vs real url)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, there are probably a few different ways you could do this.

It sounds like you set up a redirect from getsavvy.tv that points to savvyvideoproductions.com. You could change this to point to a campaign URL to make it easier to track.using Google URL Builder: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

The result will look something like this and you would redirect traffic to that URL instead of your homepage: www.savvyvideoproductions.com/?utm_source=getsavvy.tv&utm_medium=flyer&utm_campaign=GetSavvy

To the user, there will be no visible difference, but you will be able to track it as a Campaign in Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much. I have the URL from the Builder tool. Do I paste that link in the actual website somewhere, like the code injection? Or is there some place in Google Analytics that I put it?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You would have to point the getsavvy.tv to the generated URL. You could do this in the DNS settings, within the content management system (depending on which one you use) or set up a redirect protocol.

If you are using domain name masking for your entire website, so that getsavvy.tv shows on all pages, then this method may not work for you.