Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking code not taken into consideration for the blog page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have an GA account for my website:

"website.co"

>> The tracking is working well, I can see visitors coming real time, etc.

I have a blog page on my account which is:

"blog.website.co"

>> the same tracking code has been implemented for the blog (Used Google tag assistant to check it was properly installed) but the data for the blog does not appear on the account, when there is a visitor on this blog we cannot see it real time on GA

Could you please let me know what is wrong or where I could check this page on my GA account? (already checked every single page on the account to look for it)

Best regards,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking code not taken into consideration for the blog page

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sebastien :-)

Did you create a new View and apply the following filter?

Because the domain names aren’t listed, it might be hard to tell which domain each page belongs to.

To get the domain names to appear in your reports you need to do two things: Create a copy of your reporting view that includes data from all your domains in it and add an advanced filter to that new view. The filter will tell Google Analytics to display domain names in your reports.

Follow this example to set up a view filter that displays domain names in your reports when you have cross domain tracking set up. For some fields, you need to select an item from the dropdown menu. For others, you need to input the characters here:

Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
Field A: Hostname Extract A: (.*)
Field B: Request URI Extract: (.*)
Output To: Request URI Constructor: $A1$B1
Click Save to create the filter.

Are you able to provide the link to the website. it can often assist with troubleshooting.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Bronwyn your help is very appreciated, I see. Cannot use this filter right now as I do not have admin rights. It seems that after a check on gachecker, we do not have google universal analytics on for all the page. This is quite confusing
Our domain is www.shortlist.co and subdomain blog.shortlist.co

So with a tracking tag update and a view creation we should be able to properly track both blog and website data?

Best,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sebastien :-)
I agree.. it can be completely confusing!

What code do you have access to on each of those sites?
I notice that the tracking code is installed on https://shortlist.co via Google Tag Manager
and then the blog is wordpress with the tracking code installed via a plugin.
Are you able to edit the code on either of those sites?
Also you mention you don't have Admin access re filter creation.- ok so scrap that route just for the moment re filter
Do you have Edit permissions at the Property and View level?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the detailed information!

I will see if we can edit the codes on both interface with Universal Analytics code
Checked with Google Tag assistant Chrome extension and on both sites I have the right tracking code ID (the same as the one in the admin section)
I should get all the admin rights soon to be able to edit everything! cannot do anything right now..

Will update asap and thanks again

Best,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Nps, I was simply asking re what access to the code, as my grey matter was ticking over as to how to best go about sorting it out

Couple of things to take into consideration before making any changes -

With the Analytics Property and Views.. check and make sure that the Website URL is added as https and that the domain name is entered without the www.

On the blog, display features no longer needs to be enabled via the tracking code snippet, the preferred method for this is now to enable it via the Property Settings (needs edit permissions at the Property level to do this):
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872#propsettings

- If you are looking to track visitors and share the session and referral data etc between the blog and the main domain, then a couple of things to take into account.
- you cant enable display features just for blog or main domain..must be enabled for both

- I havent had a chance to test this, however i think if the main site is forced to https and the blog site is not https too, then rather than simple subdomain tracking, you may have to setup cross domain tracking instead in this instance.
- If using GTM on main site and UA tracking code snippet on the blog, in order for them to talk to each other, i think you will have to name the trackers so as to not end up with any conflict between the two methods so as they can both talk to each other