Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking behaviours of a specific country

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, wondering if anyone can help here?

one of our international websites is having a high intake of one country in visitors with a high bounce rate. I am trying to run a report on Google Data Studio which allows me to monitor the entrance and exit page of this specific country. I am using 3rd party software such as Hotjar to allow me to monitor their movements on the website, however, I also would like to pull a report from google analytics which shows entrance page/exit page by specific country. I know this is possible through the customer behaviour section of analytics, but is it possible to summarise this down to just one specific country?

Thanks in advance.

Natalie Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Natalie Mc
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Natalie,

There are many ways to do this.  You can look at the geo reports and apply a filter for only that country. 

You could use a segment for sessions that originate in that country.  And in Data Studio you could add a filter control by country as well. 

You should also take some time to review that traffic to make sure it's not spam.  You should do the basics like keep an unfiltered view, creating analysis views that include only the hostnames you want to track, etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Natalie Mc
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Natalie,

There are many ways to do this.  You can look at the geo reports and apply a filter for only that country. 

You could use a segment for sessions that originate in that country.  And in Data Studio you could add a filter control by country as well. 

You should also take some time to review that traffic to make sure it's not spam.  You should do the basics like keep an unfiltered view, creating analysis views that include only the hostnames you want to track, etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This leads me to another question..how can we track spam..except on assumptions?

For example, we had high traffic from Brazil to UK site, with an average bounce rate of 98%. Looking into further figures, one area of Brazil had 5 customers visiting for less than 10 seconds, exiting on the first page, however, a customer on the other side of the country went onto the website for 7 minutes, visited 3 pages, with an exit page being a product page. Is this the only process to determine spam by looking at the figures? (Brazil is a constant one for me right now in monitoring in this manner)

I will try your ideas, however, to try and determine customer journeys with high bounce rates. I am just starting to use Google Data Studio so will create a report through GEO on google analytics.

Many thanks! Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Natalie,

No worries.  Smiley Happy  Well there is a whole section here on spam.  Basically you want to create views that filter for only include  the hostnames that you want.. That is the first line of defense.

Many lazy spammers send data vie the measurement protocol that do not include the proper hostname (some send the proper host) so they are easy to catch and filter out.

After that, you need to start segmenting and looking at the traffic for any sources that stand out over time. 

You'll also want to tick the checkbox in your analysis views to exclude known bots and spiders. (leave this unchecked in your unfiltered view).

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn