Analytics
5.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking ID has mysteriously changed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Something very odd has happened to my company's Google Analytics account, and as a novice I have no idea how to fix it.

It seems that the tracking ID of our site no longer matches the tracking ID on our Google Analytics account.

I have tried to set up a new property (I think) but the tracking ID which Google Analytics pulls in isn't the same as the one I get when I view page source in Chrome.

Does this make sense, and if so can anyone fix my issue?

Thanks in advance

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking ID has mysteriously changed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The problem is actually the other way around -- the tracking code on your site doesn't match the Google Analytics account you have. Tracking codes are created in Google Analytics, but they can't be changed once created.

Do you have another Google Analytics account, maybe linked to a different email address? If not, then you need to change the tracking code on your website to match the Google Analytics account you do have.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike, that's great.

Is it easy to do, or do I need to pay our site developers to do it, do you
think?

And as far as I know this is the only email address ever associated with
this Analytics account.

Cheers!

Nick

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
'..ever associated with this Analytics account". That could be the problem - is there another email address that was used to set up a different Analytics account , and that is where the tracking code on your website came from? Did you ever have (real, not spam) traffic recorded in the GA account you have? If not, you may have a second account that was created but never used. You need to find that other email account...

If you know you have the prime GA account, then how to change the code depends on how your website was created (Wordpress, Joomla, custom HTML, ???). It should be a simple matter of swapping the existing code out for the new one - a 1 minute task.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.