Analytics
2.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking ID code is entered correctly, but Analytics not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I use Website Builder on iPage.   I entered my Google Tracking ID code in the designated place for it on my site. It's not working.  I even tried the Google Tags extension to check and it says "No Tags Found".  I contacted iPage and they said the following:

]

"Google Analytic code is added properly in website builder under 'Stats' option. I have also checked the pages and can see the code added properly. Could you please check with Google Analytics why the stats are not displayed for the website? If anything needs to be done on server side, please get back to us with exact requirements so that we can investigate further."

I'm kind of at my wits end now, does anybody have any ideas?  This is my site: easyvocalharmony.com

Thanks,

Mike

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

It is not a standard implementation so the extension is unable to detect the tracking code. I'm not sure how the implementation is done on iPage, I can see the tracking id in the source code, but not the other required components like loading the analytics.js library, creating the tracker or sending pageviews. It seems that the site is not sending data to Google Analytics at all. If it's possible, I'd say to do a standard implementation of the tracking code as described in the document below.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en

Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your replies.  This was ipage's response about the slash: "I reviewed the findings from Google Support and verified that there's no \ included in the textbox where the Google Analytics code is updated in the website tool. Could you please check again and confirm with Google Support that there's no \ along with tracking ID."

It sounds like they just looked at the text box without checking anything else.  I don't see a slash either, but again, it's just a text box.  I can't see any of the underlying code. I also just cut and pasted Arnold's reply above.  We'll see what they say.  Really frustrated with ipage right now, I figured the problem was on their end all along.  

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, here's the latest from ipage: 
I could see that you have correctly added the Google Analytics code UA-87621024-1 in WebsiteBuilder. I have checked each page of your website at http://easyvocalharmony.com/ and I could see below line of tracking code in it:

"analyticsTrackingId":"\"UA-87621024-1

This confirms that WebsiteBuilder has added tracking code to all the pages.

Google support team informed you saying 'code with the slash' . Could you please ask them whether any additional code is needed to add in your website or is there any settings needed to enable in your Google's account? I don't find any issue with with added Google Analytics code which is added correctly in WebsiteBuilder.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, here's the latest from ipage: 

"I could see that you have correctly added the Google Analytics code UA-87621024-1 in WebsiteBuilder. I have checked each page of your website at http://easyvocalharmony.com/ and I could see below line of tracking code in it:

"analyticsTrackingId":"\"UA-87621024-1

This confirms that WebsiteBuilder has added tracking code to all the pages.

Google support team informed you saying 'code with the slash' . Could you please ask them whether any additional code is needed to add in your website or is there any settings needed to enable in your Google's account? I don't find any issue with with added Google Analytics code which is added correctly in WebsiteBuilder."

And btw, I downloaded to Google Tag Assistant to my Chrome browser and it says "No tags found".  Kind of at my wits end here. Smiley Sad

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

As I mentioned in my first reply I'm unable to find the components required for sending data to Google Analytics. I'd like to see the code that is responsible for sending the data. I can see the tracking id in the source code but nothing else. The tracking code should look like in the document below.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much Arnold (and Taavi),

I was under the impression I only had to add the Tracking ID but I also had to add the "Universal Analytics tracking code" to the header of my site. It's now working I think.  

Thanks for your patience with a newbie like me!

Mike 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, it is working now but it is sending duplicate pageviews. I'd suggest to keep the code in the header and remove the tracking id from the config field. Let me know when it's done and I'll check it again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ahh, thanks for the head's up.  I just removed just the Tracking ID.  Let me know how it looks now. The Google Tag Assistant says I'm still good...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately it is still not good. It seems that the iPage tag started working and now both tags are active. Maybe they fixed it in the meantime. I found the GA code at the end of this file:

http://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-25054850/sites/43884487/5809c55acca74pWhEhZi/5831094028...

Can you try to remove the code from the header and we'll see what happens?