Analytics
4.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Code Mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a client who has a tracking code mismatch in their analytics. The code attached to the analytics property is different to the one on the site. How can add the correct code into their analytics? I do not want to add a new property because I believe this creates a new code, correct? And will therefore lose all old data.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Code Mismatch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The Google Analytics property <is> the code. There is no way to change it. You need to find the Google Analytics account that the existing code points to -- that is where all the data resides. Maybe a previous web developer?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Mike. It is obvious know you said it. Can I ask one more
question, if they cannot find the original account is there a mechanism for
transferring it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
At the current time, there is no way to transfer the data from one account to another. You would still need to find the other account. If you are an Adwords customer as well, you can reach out to Adwords support for assistance.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.