Analytics
2.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

This site may be hacked message

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I work at an Managed Service Provider and we have a client who uses Google Analytics. Today, their website was hacked.They were able to work with GoDaddy in regards to getting the website back up and running however upon google searches, it still shows that "This site may be hacked". I know that I have to login to the google search console but unfortunately it was set up under a former employee's credentials. Neither myself or the actual company has any records for this account on file. We tried going through the account recovery page but it won't authenticate us to reset the password. Anyone know of how to get access. I've searched for a while and couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Victor

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: This site may be hacked message

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Victor,
really sorry to hear about that happening to the website.

Sounds like you may have to try an account recovery to re-access any existing Google Analytics account
There is a comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about doing this (its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

You will need to create an Adwords account to access the support option. It doesn't cost anything to create the adwords account, it does not need to have any data setup and running in it etc.. it is just for support access purposes

For further help with the other issue re clearing up the "site hacked" notification etc, Webmaster Central Help Forum can help with that.
They have a subforum for these types of issues
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/webmasters/malware--hacked-sites

I would possibly ask here first what might be the quickest and most efficient way of getting the hacked msg removed given the current predicament with the search console access etc.

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the concern, the website is back to normal! The issue is that upon a google search, under the website it says "This site may be hacked". I know in order to get rid of that, I'll need to log into the search console. Again, noone seems to remember the credentials needs to log into the search console.That top link did not work. Also, I'm unsure if an Adwords account was already created with the same credentials that I don't have the password for. Essentially what I'm asking is, without the search console credentials, am I screwed?

Thank you so much for your time.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Victor :-)
This is the Google Analytics Advertiser Community.

I strongly suggest posting on the Webmaster Central Help Forum, they deal with Search Console and are who deals with clearing

accounts that have been flagged as being hacked, or having malware etc

They have a subforum specifically for dealing with these types of issues.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/webmasters/malware--hacked-sites

I would ask there about the issue with having no access to search console etc. They may suggest simply verifying the site via a different google account. I dont know, as it's not an analytics related issue.

If there was a google analytics account that you were trying to recover access to, then you would need to seek support via adwords support and do an account recovery (and i do apologise i posted the wrong link above, i have edited to fix the issue)
(comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about doing this - its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Thanks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here