Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Tag Manager & Analyticw

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, so I've learned how to implement analytics onto my site, how to implement tags and triggers to my site;

How do I see the results of GTM on my analytics account?
So when the tags are fired X number times, how do I get that report on analytics? I can't find a single article or how-to on this
I thought it may have been obvious.

Question re-iterated. 

How do I see the results of GTM on my analytics account?

How do I get the GTM report on analytics?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tag Manager & Analyticw

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rocky :-)
Google tag manager is a tag management system to help with installation and configuration of Google Analytics.
Google tag manager does not track site visitor data or provide reports for that visitor data.

Google analytics on the other hand does track site visitor data and provide reports for that data. It can either be installed directly to your website or via Google Tag Manager.

To see data, log into Google Analytics and check out your google analytics reports.

To learn about the various reports available and how to effectively navigate the GA interface, i highly recommend the following free learning resource from Analytics Academy - Digital Analytics Fundamentals.

if you would like to learn more about GTM - https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course/5
https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course/1

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Tag Manager & Analyticw

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V

Thanks for the answer, I've taken the GA and GTM course

and had a weeks practice implementing and correcting issues, even gone as far as learning basics of HTML and CSS but still I don't understand the practical implementation of GTM,

What would I aciallg use it for if it it does not contribute to GA reports?

Tag Manager & Analyticw

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It would depend on your tracking needs.

Once the GTM container code is installed correctly, it can simplify the configuration of the GA tracking via the GTM container rather than having to manually make edits to tracking code in the site source code itself each time a change may need to be made to alter or update the tracking configuration. 
This also means other parties can also add various tracking to the site eg say a marketing dept that wants to setup Adwords conversion tracking or similar .. they can be given access to the GTM container and set it up without having to touch the website source code in order to do it.

GTM supports a wide variety of tags https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106924?hl=en

You can put a GTM container on a website. GTM container code just on its own, doesnt do anything. 

You can add Google Analytics tracking to the site using GTM to add and then configure it via the GTM interface.
Then you will get data in the Google Analytics reports.
GTM can also make it easier to check tracking configuration for errors before publishing it live on the site.

Google Analytics does not need GTM. Its tracking code can be setup on a website with no GTM container code present

and it will track visitor data and send it to the GA reports.
GTM can make some of the tracking setup and configuration easier.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here