Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Source/medium data from Google Analytics seems to be inaccurate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am currently trying to use my Google Analytics data to find out the most common keywords that my users are using in Google's search engine to find my website.

I went to the source/medium section, but obtained the information as shown below:

google / organic: 97(4.75%)

This is definitely inaccurate, as we have customers who sign up and tell us how they found our website, and the majority of our customers found our website through google, definitely not 4.75%. 

Does anyone know why this is so?

Also, is there a place I can find the keywords which my users are using to find me on Google's search engine?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wang Z
November 2015

Re: Source/medium data from Google Analytics seems to be inaccurate?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Wang,

The 4.75% represents the organic traffic portion you received for the time period you chose according to your total traffic. You may check to see if you have Ghost Referral Spam that may skew these statistics.

To find your keywords you can navigate to Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels > and then click on Organic Search : Note: A good majority of your keywords will be not provided.

A better option would be to link Google Analytics to Search Console. You can start this link by going to Acquisition > Search Engine Optimization > Queries to see a more accurate indication of organic traffic keywords. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wang Z
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Wang,

The 4.75% represents the organic traffic portion you received for the time period you chose according to your total traffic. You may check to see if you have Ghost Referral Spam that may skew these statistics.

To find your keywords you can navigate to Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels > and then click on Organic Search : Note: A good majority of your keywords will be not provided.

A better option would be to link Google Analytics to Search Console. You can start this link by going to Acquisition > Search Engine Optimization > Queries to see a more accurate indication of organic traffic keywords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response Bryan. I will try the Search Console method you suggested as the results i obtained from Channels are not meaningful (mostly not provided)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I set up the Search Console, and it is working now (i can see it is working in the real time tracker). However, the channels are still not meaningful. I even tried searching through google.com, by typing in a keyword to my website. My hit was registered, but the channel for my hit still shows (not provided). Is there any way to unblock this data?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks GA Guru! I will try the recommmended Google Webmaster Tool.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The Google Webmaster Tool works great, provided exactly the information that I need. However, it stopped collecting the data after the initial 2 days (so i only have 2 days of data currently). Is it because it only collects for 24 hours? How can I collect continuously?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Wang, sometimes it takes a while to collect data, approximately 48hrs. If it has completely stopped then you just need to make sure your property is still verified. Sometimes if you remove verification code or move code around on your site it unvarifies the property and you just need to do it again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bryan, perhaps that is why i only have data until 27 November. I will wait a couple more days and see if it continues updating to 28 November and 29 November. Thank you very much!