Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Social Traffic Not Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a reason why organic traffic would be tracking for a site but not any social links? I know, based on social media tools, that there have been clicks from social media to the site. It shows zero.

Any way to figure out what's going on?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Social Traffic Not Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Heather E,

Please share how the social links are being tracked. Are they tracked through "social" type hits (as opposed to other type hits, like events)?
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, they'd just be found under social. No other tracking is set up yet as for as events or goals or anything.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Do you know how the social links are being tracked, or what code is being used?

For example, for the Acquisition > Social reports to report any data, you need to be sending in "social" hits. I am just trying to see if you know if your social links are doing just that.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We're user Buffer links which do have all the tracking for social in there. Is that what you mean?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I'm not sure what Buffer links are. Perhaps if you share your site, and also give examples of where these social links are on your site, then I can take a look.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Buffer is a social media manager basically. You schedule your posts thru that. The site is only the home page. Here is the end of one of the links. As you can see, it shows all the needed social tracking:
/?utm_content=buffer3646b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Ah, ok, so you're talking about social campaign tracking, correct? You should be able to see all campaign traffic in your Campaign reports and you should be able to pull up secondary dimension and filter based on the social platform (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). These would not show up in your Social reports though, as, like I mentioned, data needs to be sent with a "social" type hit to reach those Social-specific reports.

Can you please clarify if that's what you mean, that you aren't seeing data under Acquisition > Social?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Correct! I am not seeing any Sessions via Social Referral.

I'm also using bit.ly links as well. Wouldn't those come thru as 'social.?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi, Heather,

I'm not too clear on this, and hoping that somebody else on this forum may have an answer. In the meantime, I will try to do more investigation into this as well. Thanks for your patience!