Analytics
2.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Site redesign, New GA or keep existing account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

We are in the midst of redesigning a site.  The previous site was poorly tagged for Google Analytics.  As we are redesigning the tagging, I am wondering if it would make more sense to just create a new GA account, to start from scratch.  What are the best practices?

Thanks,

Nic

Re: Site redesign, New GA or keep existing account

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Nicholas,

You can keep the same account if you wish, but just create a new property. This way you will have a new property ID and you wont have your new data polluted with the old. The nice thing about this is your settings can remain the same.

Hopefully this helps,
Omar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If I do so will I be able to get reporting to compare the previous property? Or will this only be possible by pulling the two reports (one in each property)?

What is recommended?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
If you want to compare both properties you can create a roll-up property which will combine the two into one report. The nice thing about having a new property is that you get to start fresh pretty much, but u can still easily refer back to your old data if need be.

It is recommended to create a new property than creating a whole new account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Omar H

I see you mention roll-up reporting. However to my understanding this is only for 360 (paid users) 

Are there any updates regarding this? 

I have my old site and I am about to launch my new site at a different domain, I want to track the data while I am going to move across and I do not know which method is best. 

Would you still recommend creating a new property?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Yangshuo,

Are you going to keep both sites running at the same time? If you are fully going to migrate from one domain to another, you can use the same property, that way data will flow to the same place and you can always refer back to your historical data from your old site. 

You can then use views with different filters in it to include only your new domain, a filter to include only your old domain if it still will be running, and a raw view with no filters to include all incoming traffic. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nic -- I would imagine that even if the site was poorly tagged, there may be some data that would be helpful when looking at reports. If you use the same tag and property, add a shared annotation on the date of the site relaunch to note it in all reporting. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Omar, 

Thanks so much for your fast response. 

This sounds like a good solution, however, the main concern is capturing data from the new site from the get go (as in Friday) but AT THE SAME TIME still, track the current site which will NOT YET be redirecting to the new one until a few weeks later.

So at which point would, I have to update my url in Analytics?

How would I go about setting up views with different filters to separate the data? 

Thank you!

This is not cross-domain tracking, is it? I have read a little about and it seems like a headache.

Hi Bobby,   Thank you. I have no clue how to do that, but...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bobby,

Thank you. I have no clue how to do that, but I have found this article and will read into it.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/google-analytics-annotations/

If you have any simple step by step outline for dummies lying around please feel free to share it with me! haha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That Kissmetrics article does a good job explaining how to create annotations and why you would want to do them. Just follow their instructions in the first graphic.