Analytics
5.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Site migration, new tracking code?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have 9 sites (1 large and 8 smaller). They are all being combined into one site (using the domain of my current large site).

Should I set up a new Google Analytics code for this new combined site or carry on using the one that's already there?

I've tried looking for information all morning but can't find a definitive answer. Should I be worried about historical data?

Also, the 8 smaller sites are held in one GA account and the larger one has a separate GA account - I'm not sure if this makes a difference?

I really hope this makes sense... any help would be massively appreciated!

Should I install a new code?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with this...

I have 9 websites (1 large and 8 smaller). The sites are all being amalgamated into one (the larger site).

Should I set up a new Google Analytics tracking code for this new combined site or use the one that is already present on the large site?

Many thanks in advance,

Jen

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi @Jen S,

if you have already setup a GA account for your site i would not recommend creating a new one, because you will not be able to access to the historical data. If you change your content strategy or a new site starts referring to your site, you would not be able to see the changes in your reports. Sometimes you will need to compare reports between different date ranges. 

Linking 8 smaller to a single account does not make any difference as far as you are receiving accurate reports. 

kind regards

Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So, I  am better not to set up a new tracking code but use the one that is currently being used?

The Google Analytics tracking codes for the 8 smaller sites are in a different GA account than the code on the larger site and they are linked to a Google Adwords account.

How do I link this Adwords account to the analytics account that holds the larger site?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.