Analytics
3.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Site Content percentages skewed by embeded script content being lumped together

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics Newbie.  It seems like GA considers a bunch of homepage content as the same. Our homepage has embeded search boxes created with scripts.  GA lumps any clicks on these search boxes and chat widget together and with a click on the return to home link.  So almost 70% of my content drill down indicates a click on index.html  I'd like to be able to differentiate between clicks on these different search tabs.  See photo and our website below.

Is there a way to set up analytics to recognize these are separate content items.  Thanks!

Analytics screenshot

http://www.library.millersville.edu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recommend implementing Google Tag Manager to 'listen' for clicks on each of those elements. In order for this to work, you'll need to make sure each element has a unique ID, or the trigger is built to listen for the element text such as "Library Search", "Our Books and DVDs", etc.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

There are 2 ways to solve this

1. You can have events on click of these tabs and although it wont show you visual representation using inpage analytics but will give you data about these clicks in GA interface.

2. After clicking on any of these tabs neither your page is refreshed nor any hit is being sent to GA. To avoid this you can fire virtual page views on click of these tabs and you will be able to get the clicks data on in-page analytics as well as in reporting interface.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to both of you. This is very helpful.