Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up a new website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am creating a local website with listed businesses.

I have a couple of questions if you are able to help me I'd be hugely grateful

1.  Is the simple google analytics going to be enough or should i use task manager

2.  Is there a quicker way to put on every page?

3.  We will have multiple businesses advertising on the website under different categories.  Is there a way of tracking how many people click on their advertisements?

I so appreciate any help/pointers you can give.  Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting up a new website

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Belinda,

Here is my answer to your questions:

1. I assume you mean Google Tag Manager here? Well, if you set up a new account are you are familiar with Google Tag Manager, I most often advice to use GTM. At the end it gives you more flexibility over what you want to measure and where. However, it that tool is completely unknow to you, I would go for Google Analytics hardcoded.
2. Most often you have one place where you can insert your GA code so that it is placed on all pages. Place the Google Analytics script before the end of the head <head> tag. If you go for GTM, place the container just after the opening body <body> tag.
3. Yes, you track your outbound links (on advertisements) with outbound link tracking via events. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en

Hope this helps you in the right direction!
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
brilliantly helpful thank you so much.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Belinda,

I am glad I could help you out here.

Paul

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Belinda A, further to @Paul K's reply, on the issue of placing the code on every page, it's a good idea to do this via an include.  An include is a programming practice where rather than inserting the code itself, you insert a reference to an external file that contains that code.  The key advantage to doing this is that if the code needs to change (as it often does with Google!) you need only edit the external file once and all your pages are instantly using the updated version.

How you carry out an include will depend upon how the site is being developed, but it's pretty simple, usually just a single line of code in almost all cases and if you search on Google (or come back and ask here!) you'll be able to find step by step instructions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits