Analytics
5.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Setting 2 UA Properties for the same domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

we have an old blog on the same domain as our shop. Being so, we decided ages ago to put the UA from the shop within this blog so as to be able to track everything into one account.

Now we want to be more proactive with the blog and see it as a separate entity. That includes using options in Analytics that focus on the blog only. For instance, tracking the flow of users within the blog, and so on.

So I guess we would have to add a second UA to the blog (which is WP), but it seems our plug-in only allows one ID at a time. If we switch it, then we will mess with the former view.

So: is there any possibility to add a second UA to this blog without removing the first one?

To be more specific, our blog runs on a domain like domain.com/blog, just on a separate interface on which we have only implemented the very basics. No GTM at the moment. Do we need to implement it first, and put two different UA Tags in there? 

Thanks,

Pauline. 

Re: Setting 2 UA Properties for the same domain

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Pauline,

if i understood your question you are asking if you can add multiple GA tracking id to your blog. If you add multiple GA codes it will create a mess for you and your reports will not be accurate. if you are looking to add GTM on your blog then you will have to remove the old google analytics tracking code from your site. you will be adding google tag manager id to your site and set up google analytics using tag manager. here is a complete detail for installing installing google tag manager on wordpress and setting up google analytics. http://marketlytics.com/blog/installing-google-tag-manager-wordpress

i hope i am able to understand your question and hopefully this solution will work for you Smiley Happy

Cheers
Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Norman,

If I understand you correctly, there is no way around to avoid losing the data from our blog on our current analytics view without having an issue with data quality. I would have loved to have the data in two separate accounts.

Anyway: thank you for helping out!

Cheers,

Pauline.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually I have another question Smiley Happy

Our team wants to track the sales the blog contributes to. If we switch the current GA ID to the new one, we won't be able to put it as a goal in Analytics. Is there a way around this? I was thinking maybe we should resort to UTM parameters, but that would force us to use them on all the blog. I am unsure if they can be automated...

Do you see anything which will enable us to track down sales achieved on our shop?

Thanks,

Pauline.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pauline,

If you run two different Universal Analytics codes via tag manager then there will no longer be loss in quality as mentioned. Loss in quality only exists if you are mixing Universal & Classic analytics codes. Simply update all analytics codes to Universal Analytics and then run both codes on same pages. Universal codes no longer conflict with eachother https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en

Keep In mind the following:

1) Tracking IDs must be different
2) Code Version must both be Universal (no classic)

Site A: Web Property ID UA-XXXXXXXa-1
Code Version/Syntax: Universal
Site B: Web Property ID UA-XXXXXXXb-2
Code Version/Syntax: Universal

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pauline,

If you use UTM parameters for internal tracking, you'll screw up all your campaign attribution. I don't recommend doing that.

Actually, if I were you, I would not add another tracking code to the website. Instead of that, I would use an advanced segment in order to segment out all the traffic related to your blog.

You can always apply this segment to your reports and everything is fine. No need of extra code or technical implementation and you're not losing data from your blog or your current analytics.

Here you can read more about creating advanced segments: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Check this article as well: http://cutroni.com/blog/2013/07/16/google-analytics-segmentation/

Justin Cutroni describes in there how to add a segment to match viewing blog content.

Hope this helps.

Taavi