Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Set-up trouble

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, all. Please forgive me, I'm totally new at this. I've read a bunch of forums and tried to contact Google repeatedly, all to no avail.

I'm just trying to set up tracking on a website. I think it's all good to go, I give my programmer the information, he says he uploads it, and it never starts tracking. The programmer repeatedly tells me it takes more than 2 days to begin tracking, but still nothing after 3 or 4 days.

When he set up his own account, all works fine. But of course he can't transfer the account to me and remove himself so I can keep the old history and data.

I don't want to start spreading the word about the site until the tracking is finalized, but I'm now more than a week out from when I wanted to launch.

Can anyone help?

Forever Grateful,

Jeremy

Re: Set-up trouble

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jeremy,

I'd suggest to start checking if the GA code has actually been inserted in the website and if it works properly: could you please share the URL of your website, so that we can give it a check?

Could you also please post here the information you sent to your programmer? I suppose that you sent the code that your GA panel showed after you created your GA account, right?

Best,

Gabriele

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a self-promotional signature. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Gabriele! Thanks for the help.

The website is http://thechoicemodel.com/. I can't know for sure if the programmer inserted the information, but he says he did. I've deleted and started new ones a few times, but it looks like there are two now, his (UA-79997001-1) which is tracking and mine (UA-80050599-1) which is not.

I sent him the website tracking information (the Universal Analytics tracking code for this property) and all the code that goes with it.

Thanks, Gabriele!

Jeremy

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jeremy,

I had a quick check and there is an error in the GA code inserted in the website. It should be an easy fix for your programmer.

In the following screenshot you can see the two codes inserted in the website. Your code is the one on the top, highlighted in blue, while your programmer's code is the green one on the bottom (notice that is commented out).

Schermata 06-2457570 alle 18.49.04.png

In your code, a line has an error inside, that I colored in red below:

})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/an…39;ga'Smiley Wink;

To fix this issue, you can tell your programmer about this error, he should be able to fix it quickly.

Otherwise, you can also copy again the code from your GA panel and send it again to your programmer. The code should look like the following:

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
  ga('create', '80050599-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Once this is done, just notify me here and I'll have another check.

Otherwise you can check it by yourself, by installing in your Chrome Browser a free extension called "Google Tag Assistant" (it is a free tool that allows to check the presence and correctness of the GA code and several other codes).

Hope it helps.

I wish you a great day,

Gabriele

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a self-promotional signature.