Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Seperate Property for AMP?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there! I'm trying to set up a new property for only AMP variants of my URLs, but my AMP URLs live in a subfolder instead of a subdomain. So for example:

Traditional AMP usage:

amp.mysite.com/article/blabla

My site:

mysite.com/article/blabla/amp/

Is there a way to set up a GA property so that it only measures traffic that arrive at */amp/ URLs?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
If you create a new GA Property and install that Property's tracking code only on the AMP page, only data for those AMP pages will be tracked within that Property's reports.

If for some reason you were to want to create a View and add a filter to it to only include those pages, then a 
Predefined Filter
Include only - Traffic to the subdirectories - That contain 
/amp/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, both are very smart Smiley Happy Do you see any advantage of one way over the other?

Re: Seperate Property for AMP?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It's recommended by Google to setup a new GA Property for tracking/reporting the AMP pages separately. So I would stick with that, at least initially.

AMP vs non-AMP traffic

Due to various technical restrictions, AMP traffic uses different client ids from those for web traffic. AMP pages also load faster and show different traffic patterns. Thus, you should use a separate property to measure AMP traffic. If you use a single property to measure both AMP and non-AMP traffic, use the data source dimension or a custom dimension to distinguish them. No additional code is needed when using data source. By default, Google Analytics will send the value "AMP" within the data source dimension, which is the value you can use to segment/filter or otherwise analyze AMP vs non-AMP content within a single View. To configure a custom dimension, see Extending googleanalytics.

Ref: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/amp-analytics/#amp_vs_non-amp_traffic

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here