Analytics
2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Same website new URL - new property or edit existing property settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We moved our website to a new domain, and redirected all the previous URLs to the new ones. 

I didn't change the tracking code of GA and it continues to track just fine. (it is a small website, no large traffic numbers)

Should i edit the url at the propperty settings or create new property?

The same question goes for our app.

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author shlomi m
April 2016

Re: Same website new URL - new property or edit existing property settings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shlomi,

I suggest you to keep the current property and only to change the URL in the Report view setting.

- The property URL at this location is just made to inform Analytics what is the "root domain" of the pages in the reports. This way, the new reports will show the correct page path levels.

- Creating a new property means creating a new ID and a new view, therefore you won't get the datas from the previous domain as if it was a totally different website. Don't do this unless you want to start over your data collection from the beginning, which is not a good thing IMHO.

Hope this helped :-)
Matt

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's great Matt thanks!

Do you know what about the app?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It depends on the app content and its source, but basically, if the app gets its content from the same database (ie: the same webpage, same content) i don't think it's necessary to change the settings.

What is the purpose of the app ?