AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Reset data and/or archive data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have developed an app for a customer and they wanted google analytics implemented. Said and done, it's been implemented for a few months and works great. Now they want to send out their app to beta testers, and would like to reset the historical data, or create some sort of version where this beta data is being stored. I guess "archiving" data is what I'm looking for, take all the current data in out GA account and archive it to start fresh, but still have the archived data for future reference.

Is anything close to this even possible in google analytics? If not - any suggestions on how to do something similar?

Cheers,
Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Reset data and/or archive data?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You cannot delete data once it is in GA. There is no archive option.

The best you can do it to create a second property and switch the analytics tracking code used in your product when not in testing mode. Suggest you use a -2 tracking code anyways to reduce future referral spam in your account.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why? I have the same issue.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You cannot delete data in a GA view - once it has recorded it, it is there until you delete the view.

What you could do is to create a brand new view in the property, starting clean. Rename the old view to be an 'archive' view, and optionally create a view filter so it does not record any further data.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You can delete "properties" 

=> Administration›Property Settings=>Move to Trash Can

image.png

Under the ADMIN tabthere are 3 sections: Account, Property and View

You CAN delete "properties", so what I do when I am developing websites/apps, ect... is I create a NEW property (you'll get multiple tracking codes, for example UA-XXXXX-1, and UA-XXXXX-2, ect). So, even if I did a bunch of testing with property  UA-1 then I can just make a new  UA-2 and later DELETE property  UA-1.

Something to consider "before" you start dev (but even if you don't you can still delete the  UA-1 property)

Best way to handle this is simply create BOTH a new view and a new property, call them "dev/testing" and then kill em when you go live, remember to switch out your UA urchin!

If you really want to get technical and keep super clean data:

I have a "trash" GA account that I hook up to various projects, its has URLs from all over the place. I use it to test events, goals, ect... hook it up to AdWords to test conversions, and so on. None of the "data" in that 1 account is real/legit, just a bunch of testing nonsense. When we go live I connect the "real" account.