Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Redundant hostnames showing in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've received a message yesterday about redundant hostnames. Our website has been up and running since 2007 and I've never experienced this message before.

Property ###.com is receiving data from redundant hostnames. Some of the redundant hostnames are:

###.com
www.###.com

Redundant hostnames are counted as separate rows in reports, so hits that are going to the same page on your site from different hostnames will be split into multiple rows. With data split across multiple rows, traffic to specific pages will appear lower than it actually is.

To avoid this problem, consider setting up a 301 redirect from one of your redundant hostnames to the other, or create a search-and-replace filter that strips "www." from hostnames.

I was informed by our web host that all our 301 redirects are in place, so don't basically understand the message.

If I click "Check again" on the message in Analytics, it shows "Success"

Anyone any ideas?

My website address is www.crazyaboutmagazines.com if anyone can give any ideas for me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jackie H

In both the Property Settings page and the View Settings page,

is the website url entered with the www (it should be in this instance)

Are the redundant hostnames anything to do with your site or not recognized by you?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, in the Property Settings page and the View Settings page, both have my url with the www correctly.

The redundant hostnames are from my site. However the 301 is correctly in place (I'm fairly sure as our host set up this in 2007 and nothing's been changed since then and no notifications have been made for 9 years).

The only thing that's changed is our host is now using CloudFlare but I don't suspect that could be anything to do with this, could it?

The message in Analytics says:

Property http://www.crazyaboutmagazines.com is receiving data from redundant hostnames. Some of the redundant hostnames are:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jackie,

Even I got this warning on the 21st of November and I too am using Cloudflare. Really Confused because my site's 301 is also correctly placed.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jackie,

1. You can set up a search and replace filter to make sure your data remain consistent until you figure out the cause of the issue
Screenshot: http://take.ms/eHv2d

2. Verify your redirects https://www.ohow.co/fix-redundant-hostnames-notification-in-google-analytics/ 

3. One more thing to note, your site contains multiple analytics tags which might result in inaccurate reports. Make sure your site has just one analytics tag.

Hit like and accept if this helped you Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Noman Karim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Noman,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you advise where you found that my sie has multiple analytics tags? (I've never been informed or aware of this).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jackie,

use google tag assistant to view the analytics tags on your site. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I think I've managed to find two occurrences of a different tag.

I will check this with my website host as I think I remember this from a long time ago. And I think my website host said one of the tracking stats was there as Create.net (my website host's) relevant information or possibly as Twitter or Facebook relevant code information.

I will check out that. Thanks again.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

you can verify this by checking if you are getting the accurate reports.

http://marketlytics.com/blog/how-accurate-is-google-analytics-data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks I will check that out. I have looked at the Analytics code UA-227265-19 (which is on my website) and isn't my code. I've also found that code on every other website hosted with Create.net, so I will need to get a definitive answer from Create on that. Perhaps it is necessary.