Analytics
5.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Rebranding and Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If I were to rebrand my company, how could I ensure a seamless transition on the analytics front?

Could I keep a historical account of all analytics to date? And could that coexist alongside a new account for a new site? 

Some simple steps on how to approach GA integration with a website rebrand and a new URL would be gratefully received. 

Thank you

Re: Rebranding and Google Analytics

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Polly,

Is the old site (domain) going to continue working separately in the future or you're automatically going to redirect all the traffic to the new domain?

If you're completely going to shut down the old website, you can still use the existing (old) tracking id on the new website without creating a new account. Then all the new data will be added to the existing property.

If you're not planning to shut down the old website but you'd like to still collect all the new data to the existing property, it's also possible. You just need to use the same tracking code snippet and tracking ID from that property for all of your domains and set up a cross-domain tracking. It makes it possible for Google Analytics to see sessions on two related sites as a single session. Basically, it helps you gather all the data from both websites into one single property without any problems.

Here you can find the additional instructions if you need to set this up: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Taavi!

We'll be looking to shut down the old website. How can I use the old tracking id on the new website? Is it as simple as changing the URL in my GA account? If so, I guess I'd also need to download the old data for reference?

Polly

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Polly, you should just use the same tracking code on the new website. Here you can read more about the tracking code: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032385?hl=en

You should also change the URL in your GA account but it doesn't affect the data collection. Tracking code it the most important part here.

You don't even need to download your historical because it will not change or disappear.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. Smiley Happy
Taavi