Analytics
5.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Realistic PII Prevention for average user? (Personally Identifiable Information)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I have been researching about the potential problem of inadvertently collecting PII in GA. I have heard many preventative solutions that seem to require a fair depth of technical knowledge to execute and require a vigilant constant review of all reports for any potential "needle in a haystack"; yet even then, these methods do not appear by any means reliably effective. Once PII is in your GA data, it seems you have no solution but to delete your account.

Is there any effective means for a sub average (technically challenged!) GA user who in good faith wants to keep everything on the up in up, to protect against collection of PII?

Is there any hope of a built in GA feature, aggressive filters or even an app to assist with this overlooked problem? How wonderful it would be if, upon finding inadvertent PII in your GA data, you could simply choose that piece of information and delete it! I am eager and happy to comply with GA TOS to protect customer info, but I am at a loss. The current solutions I have heard seem obscure, time consuming, unreliable, and therefore, unrealistic for every user to implement. This threatens to send everyone down the slippery slope of outright ignoring the problem (if they even know about it in the first place). I'd love to see a streamlined solution to this as I suspect it affects far more GA accounts than we'd be comfortable thinking about. On the other hand, I may have no idea what I'm talking about. Thanks for your time!

Realistic PII Prevention for average user? (Personally Identifiable Information)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Sloan

I usually do Analytics implementations using Google Tag Manager. GTM makes it relatively easy to avoid sending PII to Analytics in the first place as long as you know what to look for. It requires some initial research of the website and existing GA implementation to determine what PII is already collected.

Then it's a matter of setting up "filters" in GTM. The monitoring of GA is something that can be almost automated with email scheduling of custom reports that look for specific patterns (phone numbers, email adresses etc.).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would you be more specific about how to set Tag Manager to prevent PII from entering GA?