Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Property Setting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you modify the default URL in the Property settings, will that impact reporting?  The url in the field currently is a link to a staging site, not the url that is in production.

Real-Time is reporting my location when I am viewing the production site, so there must be something working here.  The major issue is that I have a "Missing Tracking Code" notification and I need to modify the URL and drop the "stage" out of the string.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Property Setting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Go ahead and change it. The field is used in 2 ways - for notifications, such as you have seen, and in the Behavior reports where you can click on a page path to open your browser to that page: it is added to the front of the page path and stuffed into the browser.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mike for getting back to me.

So if I change the Property default URL from xxxxx.stage.com to xxxxx.com, I won't lose any historical data or negatively effect the analytics whatsoever?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
:-) one thing you will learn about GA is that nothing will change historical data. Future data may look different, but historical data is locked, read-only, forever...unless you delete the view.

That particular setting will not affect the collection of data. NOTE: this is about the PROPERTY setting for "Default URL". There is a second setting in the VIEW for "Default page" -- that one will affect how the home page data is collected.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Appreciate your input Mike.

Have a great day.