Analytics
1.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Process of regaining access to your Google Analytics account

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Ishan Danda (Googler)

Question: If you're reading this, you probably might be facing an issue getting back into your Google Analytics account. This could be because you either don't know the login email ID or that the administrator of your account has left without giving you the details. Sometimes users who could access their account just yesterday aren't able to today. This is most likely because the Administrator of the account has removed their permissions or email ID from the account. You won't get a notification if they did and the next time you try to log in, the system wouldn't let you.

Answer: Hence we've defined a process for you to follow to get in touch with us so you can once again get back into your GA account and access your Traffic statistics. The entire process is outlined in this article present in the AdWords Community : https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/How-to-gain-access-to-your-Analytics-acco...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Process of regaining access to your Google Analytics account

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
If you have any questions, post them below, or start a new discussion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All of the information I have found on 'regaining access' to our Google Analytics account has been about lost passwords, account information etc, but I can't find a login option. I have account email and PW, but haven't logged in recently. I am logged into the account used to set up analytics (not a Gmail account) and every time I attempt to go to Analytics expecting to be logged in, the only options are to 'sign up for google analytics' - I've tried all manner of trickery, but consistently end up at the Sign Up page. We don't need to sign up - we've had an analytics account for a decade!

Thanks for any suggestions on articles or ?? that help to solve this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My issue is this--our Analytics account was set up by our previous website provider. They've given us Admin access within the property, but they're still the head of the "account", giving us limited access to do everything that we'd like to implement. I have gone to them directly about this before, but they've told me that all the accounts they manage are under this one account of theirs, and making any changes to ownership would temporarily shut down their server and all of their other clients websites.
Our new site is hosted on WordPress, and I do not have access to the site root to upload any ownership by txt file. Am I basically just SOL here? In this case, would you recommend starting a new account and switch the tracking codes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry to hear that Lauren - we are having a similar issue!

Our issue is the company that developed our website and created our Google Analytics have complete admin power, and only have granted myself and a few others minimal user management power. I cannot add or delete anyone, only myself. We have since cut ties with this company for a few reasons, and they gave us full power of our website they created - minus power over our Google Analytics.

When requesting full Edit/User Management access, they refused - unless we pay them. Is this something they can do? Is there a way for us to get around this, since this is our data for our website which we own? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Amanda