Analytics
3.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Possible to find URL query parameters to exclude if no traffic yet?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Is it possible to find the URL query parameters to exclude if I don't have any traffic yet? Or do we need to be getting traffic for a little while first before we see which ones are coming through that we need to exclude?

We're in the process of setting up our eCommerce store to launch in the next week, so I'm doing my best to figure out how to use GA in advance so that we have the cleanest data possible for when we start getting traffic...

Thanks for your help in advance - it's much appreciated!! Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Lisa

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Possible to find URL query parameters to exclude if no traffic yet

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lisa,

you may probbably work on a development server prior to launch. So generally, it's a good idea to check most of Analytics running smoothly on that server already. You then may set up an addionial view in your Analytics property including your live domain only for the actual live website. And stay with the first Analytics view (with include development server only) for testing issues.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph - however I have a Shopify account and Im pretty sure the holding page for my website is already getting real traffic (while Im working on configuring the back end) - but Im just not taking the data seriously while Im still getting my head around how GA works and won't benchmark the data until the day we unveil the website and take the password off of the store Smiley Happy

Any idea on the URL query parameters which I may need to include though? Like I said, the traffic is VERY small at the moment (mainly us and a few people who I guess have stumbled upon the website holding page somehow) so negligible data to try and work out the URL query parameters we'd want to exclude.

Cheers,
Lisa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
P.S. Sorry - meant 'exclude' not 'include'!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Lisa,

You might want to exclude the following URL parameters for Shopify:

q
bis_id
checkout_url
variant
contact_posted
cache
preview_key

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much Arnold! Smiley Happy Much appreciated...

Cheers,
Lisa