Analytics
4.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Permissions restricted on Google Analytics account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an owner of a small business, a web agency set up a Google Analytic account for me about 9 years ago. According to this agency, at that time Google Analytics
was a beta product and could only be used by invitation only. The agency saiid It is not possible to transfer a website from one Google Account to another and Google say the only way to give me full access is for me to set up a new Google Analytics account. I only have restricted permissions to the data gleaned from my website. I want full permissions to be able to run a digital marketing campaign based on paat information. Can someone help me with this dilemma?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isidora D
July 2016

Re: Permissions restricted on Google Analytics account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. So, if I understand correctly, I don't have any control over the data of people who have visited my site over the years? And yet, the web agency can use this information as they wish. Is this not a data protection violation?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Isadora,

the agency is unfortunately right.
However, I can neither confirm nor deny that Google Analytics property transfer is on the horizon.
(hang in there)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Isidora D
July 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. So, if I understand correctly, I don't have any control over the data of people who have visited my site over the years? And yet, the web agency can use this information as they wish. Is this not a data protection violation?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Not really; the Terms of Use (for lack of an actual clause at the time) give property of the account to the user account that creates it.

Hopefully, you retained a good working relationship with said agency and when property transfer becomes available, they can transfer the property to your own account.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My situation is the same...but can't I ask my agency to give me full Account Permissions, and after they have done that, ask them to delete themselves? Then I could give them permission to only Read & Analyze. That way we would be in control of our full account...yet they could still work with the data.