Analytics
5.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Page extensions display in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a long term user of GA for our business website.  For many years we had a website built with a piece of software which we hosted on our webserver the pages were structured like www.domain.com/default.asp or www.domain.com/products.asp etc and this is how they showed in GA.

Six months we switched to a Wordpress site running on the same domain and  the pages are therefore like www.domain.com/ or www.domain.com/products/

We used page redirects to send visitors who had been looking for our old pages to the new ones.  Gradually Gogle has started now picking up in the natural listings our new page names and our webmaster tools page also now shows all pages in the new format.  However GA shows some strange hybrid, using the examples above it shows them like this: www.domain.com/default.asp or www.domain.com/products/default.asp  i.e. it is using the new page names but adding defualt.asp to the end of everything.  This seems weird, I can't see where in our settings we might have told it to use such an extension....any ideas welcomed.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I don't know what might be the reason of adding 'default.asp', but you should be able to easily filter it out from GA using View filters (Advanced -> Filter A/B). Let me know if you need help with that.

Seb

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seb,

Thanks but is adding that to all our records...if I filter these out there will be nothing left.

I'm also concerned this is an indication that it is misunderstanding our site in some more fundamental way.

perhaps?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Malcolm, 

Sorry - I was not clear enough. I meant that in GA you can strip out default.asp'. So instead 'www.domain.com/products/default.asp  '  you can have 'www.domain.com/products/' just by applying filters. 

Sorry, but can't advise you whether it means that something is wrong with the website or with your Webmaster Tools settings. 

Seb