Analytics
3.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple properties - best practice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to establish the best way to work with multiple client accounts in analytics. Currently, we use one account/UA Code for all clients and filter data by domain to extract information about that client's site.

It's not great though - it's messy and a bit of a mine field when trying to set up event tracking and other tasks. I also want to ultimately allow clients to have the ability to access their own data without showing all of it.

So, it makes sense to me to gradually move clients to their own 'property'. But, I can't find definitive answers to the following:

1. Is there a limit to the number of properties we can have in our account? We have a lot.
  2. Do we need to upgrade to google for business if we need to increase this?

Is there perhaps a much better way to manage this? We need to still be able to get data on all the accounts together though - so we can get insights in to OS behaviour for example.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple properties - best practice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I usually allow an analytics Account per client and then create one or more Properties within each client's Account depending on the number of sites the client has and their tracking needs.

In doing this, should a client and i part ways down the track, then I am able to hand off the client's analytics account and their data to them

Too many times i see posts here on the forum where a website owner is unable to have long term access or control of their own site's data,
due to poor planning and lack of foresight, or a lack of proper knowledge of account heirachy of the person managing the analytics account(s)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here