Analytics
5K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Moving Google Analytics Tracking to a New Website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there! I recently moved my custom domain from my GoDaddy site to a Big Cartel site. I already have a Tracking ID from when my domain was on my GoDaddy site. I followed Big Cartel's instructions to add that Tracking ID to my Big Cartel site and also followed their directions for enabling ecommerce tracking and adjusting the referral exclusion list.

It's been about a week since I changed those settings and my Google Analytics for that domain is not showing any data. I checked my website today using the Google Tag Assistant and it showed that my Google Analytics tracking was on, without any errors.

I am really at a loss as to what the issue is. I don't want to set up a completely new Tracking ID for this domain because I had a customized "spam filter" segment created for that property, so I would like to have it just continue to read data from my domain on my Big Cartel site.

Any advice/guidance would be a great help! (Please note that I am not very proficient in Google Analytics, so simple instructions would be appreciated.)

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Re: Moving Google Analytics Tracking to a New Website

Top Contributor
# 17
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

1) paypal and stripe both need to be on the referral exclusion list if those payment gateways are being used.
so the following should be on the REL: paypal.com, stripe.com, www.shopwillowandbirch.com & checkout.bigcartel.com

2) Thanks for clarifying regarding no filters.

Re filter and property settings screenshots . are you able to please possibly provide larger screenshots, I'm unable to read either of them nor am I alble to enlarge them in such a ways so as to be able to read them.

4) You may want to check with their support how long it should take once setup and installed to start tracking.

Re test traffic - Open up the GA View in Reporting and click on Real-Time in the left column to expand the option and then click on Overview.
In another browser window.. have the GA code info page open and send the test traffic.. 

you should be able to see the test visit back in the Real time reporting overview that you have open 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Re: Moving Google Analytics Tracking to a New Website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Anna K,

Until you make the website URL match your actual website in Analytics, there will be issues with data. You need to go to Google Analytics and change the website address (URL).

You must have Edit permission to edit property settings. To edit a property:

1. Sign in to your Analytics account.
  2. Select the Admin tab and navigate to the property you wish to edit.
  3. In the PROPERTY column, click Property Settings, and edit any of the settings:
    • Property name: The name for the property that appears in Analytics.
    • Default URL: The default URL for the property.
    • Default View: The default view for integrated services (e.g., AdWords Express or Google Play) to use when pulling data from Analytics.
    • Industry Category: In industry-vertical category that most closely matches your property.
    • Advertising Features: Turn support for Advertising Features on or off.
    • Get Google Play Developer Console Data: Specify whether you want see Google-Play data about your apps in Analytics. (App properties only)
    • In-Page Analytics: Turn enhanced link attribution on or off. Choose whether to open the In-Page Analytics report in embedded (within Analytics) or full mode (in its own browser window).
    • Search Console Settings: Associate Search Console data with Analytics.
  4. Click Save.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Anna,

basically, James' advice is correct – however none of his eight points should actually prevent data from being tracked if those points are missing or false.

So let's take a look at your website to approach the issue. Can you tell us your URL to take a closer look?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you James and Christoph. The website URL is www.shopwillowandbirch.com

However, I am confused by James' comment that "Until you make the website URL match your actual website in Analytics, there will be issues with data. You need to go to Google Analytics and change the website address (URL)." My website URL has not changed--it has just been moved from my old Go Daddy site to my new Big Cartel site. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by that. Can one of you please clarify?

Thank you again for your help and expertise!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @anna k,

My apologies. I misread your request. My info was for a change in the website address. 

If only moving from server to server, you do not need to do anything further, we just need to figure out why your data is not being tracked, which we can do with Google Tag Assistant. 

When I test your site, it shows a healthy & active Analytics tag for account: UA-69637929-1. As long as you are accessing this Google Analytics account, you should be seeing data. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James, 

I tested it with the Google Tag Assistant as well and got the same. Yet for some reason I am still not seeing any data for UA-69637929-1 and I know I have been receiving traffic because I've had sales during this time. I really have no idea what the problem could be.

Thanks,

Anna

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @anna k,

Usually when this happens, the user is not logged in to the right Google Account, which is connected to the precise Google Analytics account. Please visit Google Analytics and look at the account and see if it matches the one we both posted above. 

Please keep in mind that every Google account can access Google Analytics, even if they never set up tracking or an account. And Google accounts can be any email address (not just Gmail) logged in to a Google product or service. So, you could be accessing Google Analytics with the wrong email / account associated with the above tracking number.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

I double-checked and I am logged into the same Google account I have always used for Google Analytics and it does match UA-69637929-1. Is there anything else that could be causing me to not see any data since the move?

Thanks!

Anna

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @anna k,

When you visit Google Analytics, look in the upper right hand corner for a date range. This is a drop down menu that you can set to any date period. Is this set to cover a large range and one that would encompass a general active period? Sometimes this gets set to a wrong date and therefore no data would be seen.

Also, have you sent up filters or viewing custom reports? Some users set these wrongly (or too aggressively) and therefore filter out all of the data in the report. 

Go to Google Analytics, click on your property (website with this issue) and look in the left hand menu for Audience, and then click on overview. What do you see here?

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

The date range is correct. My Audience Overview shows steady data until Sept 16th, which was when I moved my website to Big Cartel. Here is a screen-shot to show what I'm referring to: https://s14.postimg.org/674b5ktip/Untitled.png