Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile (Android) Direct Traffic Drop

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everyone, 

Hope someone can help. On a website i found out a big drop in traffic in april compared to march. Digging into the data i found that most of the traffic dropped comes from: 

- direct traffic

- chrome browser

- mobile (and tablet)

- Android OS

I also found out that while the traffic dropped, also avg time on site and pages per session increased (time on site increased of 1 minute total since the past month).

Another interesting fact is related to the Java support tab in GA. I attacched a screenshot, the segment taken is as above (direct, chrome, android), and it shows the supported vs non supported browsers traffic. I don't know if it's of any interest. 

download (2).png

Do you have ideas how this traffic drop could be possible from a technical point of view? 

Hope someone can help me solve this.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile (Android) Direct Traffic Drop

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Eugenio,

I would take a look at the hostname on this traffic as well, It seems like the old traffic was spammy or perhaps bot traffic. If the hostname is not from your site or not set, you should create and test an include hostname filter based on your site; then move it to your analysis views once you are sure it works properly. If the hostname is your site, then I would look a little closer at service provider and geo to see if you can find a way to filter it out. 1st thing to do in this case is to tick the box to block known bots in the view settings of your analysis view. Remember to always keep an unfiltered view that collects all traffic.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn