Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Migration of historical data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this has been covered somewhere else- I have spent quite a long time looking around without being able to get a definite answer hence this post.

We are looking to create a whole new Analytics account however we have quite a lot of historical data ~ around 3 years. Is there any way that this historical data can be migrated from our current account to a new one?

I understand that there you can export data through the Analytics API however 3 years is quite a lot of data and I am wondering if it will be too much to export. Also, I see that there is an import function in Analytics. If we used the API to export the data into something like a CSV file, is it then possible to import it and get it to display in Analytics in exactly the same way/format as the orginal data. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laurence H
December 2015

Re: Migration of historical data

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Laurence,

No, as Bryan noted you can't import data like that into GA.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the company was restructured into two distinct companies, but their data had previously been within one property? If so, there's not a particularly good solution for addressing cases like that. Typically in working with enterprises what I recommend follows these lines (with some variation depending on the case):

1) The property previously receiving data for the single company gets implemented into the site/app for the two new companies and acts as a "roll-up" giving some form of ongoing and historical continuity for core data.

2) Each new company implements a new distinct GA account and associated property into their site/app for go-forward data collection.

3) At some mutually agreeable point in the future the "roll-up" tag is turned off/removed and shared data is ceased.

Of course this is subject to the context of the business structure. If agreements prevent any data sharing between the two companies, for example, then this wouldn't work.

Best,

-Caleb Whitmore
www.analyticspros.com

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laurence,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer data from one profile to the next. The import function does not work that way. What I suggest you do is create the new account and then add the old account email address as a user. That way you can always switch properties to see your historical data of the old account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately we will not have access to the old account for too much longer. Any other suggestions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Laurence,

Using the API to export datasets isn't a bad option. There are various tools for this, but the simplest is probably to use the Google Sheets add-in to create a series of data requests that would get you date-based dimensions and metrics. Depending on your traffic volume you may need to split the queries into monthly or even daily runs so as to avoid sampling. If you have more than 500k sessions per day they there's no avoiding sampling in exports via the API.

Get the add-on for sheets here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/google-analytics-spreadsheet-add-on?hl=en

I'm curious why, though, you would lose access to the data? There shouldn't be any reason short of outright divestiture of the business to which the data belongs that would restrict your having perpetual access to the data going forward. If someone is telling you otherwise then you should have good reason to be skeptical.

Hope this helps,

-Caleb Whitmore

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to re-import sheet into a new analytics instance?

Company had 1 analytics instance and was split into 2. 1 company keeps the old analytics instance and the new company needs to create a new instance- hopefully populated with historical data.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laurence H
December 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Laurence,

No, as Bryan noted you can't import data like that into GA.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the company was restructured into two distinct companies, but their data had previously been within one property? If so, there's not a particularly good solution for addressing cases like that. Typically in working with enterprises what I recommend follows these lines (with some variation depending on the case):

1) The property previously receiving data for the single company gets implemented into the site/app for the two new companies and acts as a "roll-up" giving some form of ongoing and historical continuity for core data.

2) Each new company implements a new distinct GA account and associated property into their site/app for go-forward data collection.

3) At some mutually agreeable point in the future the "roll-up" tag is turned off/removed and shared data is ceased.

Of course this is subject to the context of the business structure. If agreements prevent any data sharing between the two companies, for example, then this wouldn't work.

Best,

-Caleb Whitmore
www.analyticspros.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response, it was very helpful.

It is a shame that there is no feature/ functionality to migrate data. It must be a fairly common case where businesses are bought, sold and merged and face the prospect of loosing data. Also, as I mentioned before, I have searched for quite a long time to try to find this information but was unable to. Would be nice if Google made this clear somewhere.

For the time being, we will see if we can share the historical data between the 2 companies.