Analytics
3.3K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Merging Multiple Domains and GA Poperties

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working with a company that has 17 domains, each with its own property and UA code, all under one Analytics account. Each domain represents a physical location of the business.

They are consolidating all location domains into one single website.

My question is this: what options do we have for consolidating the existing properties in Analytics? Do we just need to pick one property, use that UA code on the new site, and ditch the rest?

Thank you for your help!

Brad

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brad B
April 2016

Re: Merging Multiple Domains and GA Poperties

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Brad,

Hopefully the had a rollup that collected data from all domains, but judging by your question, I guess not.

There are two broad ways to handle this.

1: Pick a property and send all data to it : Pros: Easy Cons: harder to analyze month or year to year for the locations.

2. Use GTM (trust me, it's much easier with Google Tag Manager) and deploy a rollup for all pages and then use the old property for each section of the new site that corresponds to the old sites. So basically you are dual tracking on the site. Each hit is sent to the rollup and each hit is sent to the property that corresponds to the old sites. For example old site UA-xxxxx-12 for chicagowidgets.com New site widgets.com/chicago gets hits sent to UA-xxxxx-12 and UA-xxxxx-18 (new rollup for all pages). Pros, easy month to month and year over year analysis in the same old property and new rollup. After a year or so, you can drop off the old property codes and you can do your month over month easily there. The rollup can also have views set up for each location but you'd be approaching your limit of 25 per property.

Good luck!

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thank you for the input! One question: is a rollup with GTM only possible with Google Analytics 360?

Thanks,
Brad

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Brad,

No you can do this with any version of GA. 360 lets you create a rollup without adding the dual code. That said, you are probably using analytics.js (Universal) and that is the best and most accurate for dual tracking. If you are using a legacy version, make sure you move yourself to Universal.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, good to know! I have one more question: does a rollup transfer historical data from the multiple properties into the rollup property, or does it only collect data from all properties moving forward after it is set up?

Thank you again,
Brad

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
In this case you are using standard GA and creating a new roll up so it will only start collecting once deployed live on the site.

Usually I deploy roll ups (dual tracking) when there is a scenario like you have today: 1 company to many sites. One property "rolls up" all the data for the entire ecosystem and then each site also gets it's own tracker. Then if consolidation happens you just use the roll up.

In your case the individual properties will have the historical data and the roll up will be fresh - it will not have any historical data.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Would the same logic apply for a mobile + desktop integration? I have a client who currently tracks mobile and desktop on separate accounts (separate UA codes) and we are looking for the best solution to continue tracking. Client is concerned about losing historical data and does not want to invest in GA 360. 

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Yvonne

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Yvonne,

Yes.  Same concept.  If were talking about a mobile site and desktop site then absolutely they should be commonly coded with the same UA tracker (account & property).  If we're talking about a mobile APP and separate site then this has more nuances but in any case can still be on the same tracker.

Again, with GTM, the old tracker and a new roll-up (or just keep one of the old trackers) can be easily deployed and the old mobile tracker, e.g. can be phased out over time.

Lastly, best practice is to have one responsive site and not a separate mobile and desktop site and your historical data will remain until you delete the property or account.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn