Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Merge accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I made a mistake when I over a year ago created accounts in Google Analytics.

I made an account for each web site that I run, but later found out that it would be better to have a structure of where I have an account named My Sites and my various web sites beneath as a property.

Then have each client site as their own account, or perhaps I should rather have an account called client sites and the clients site below that as properties?

I want to move tracking information and the sites that have a account into a new property which will then be added below the My Sites account. How do I move the tracking info along with the sites into a new property?

Example:

Accounts

aiscripts.com

easywebdesigntutorials.com

spirituellfilm.no

I made the account My Sites to gather the above accounts as properties into My Sites.

Re: Merge accounts?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't think it was a mistake.
In my opinion create a separate account for each site is the best approach.
Some features (like filters) require edit permissions at account level.
So if you want to give someone access to edit filters in a specific view in a property you must give access to whole account.
But if you have each site in separate account you don't have that problem.
And this is only one reason of many why you should keep each website in separate account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is what I do - I create a new account for each clients site (as you have done), so client has an access to it and can use further, in case we stop working together, and I give my other account an admin permission. Like that I can see traffic data and do whatever I want from a single account.
I guess that is what you wanted- to be able see the data for all the websites from one account - just give this dedicated account an admin permission and it´s done
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paal Joachim
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Paal,

Not a mistake at all, probably the best structure as mentioned by Aija and Thomas.

Clients should always have their own account otherwise it becomes very difficult to hand over the account when/if the client leaves.

My favourite structure is as follows:

Create an email: Create a ghost email for your client, yourclient@yourcompany.com or a gmail account ( I know Google suggests you use your clients real email but Google does not seem to understand that clients get freaked out when they get email alerts from Google, and some clients simply ignore important emails from Google and do not forward them to you.)

Add Google services: Add Google Analytics, AdWords, Tag Manager, Youtube, My Business etc to the same Google account and link them all together (this saves a ton of time on admin permissions).

Add a property to Analytics: Create a default property and create a default view and call that view RAW. Then create 4 more views and call them FILTER 1, FILTER 2, FILTER 3, FILTER 4. Trust me on this one, it is much easier creating filter views in the setup process than later on. You can think of these alternative views as backups incase you need to filter out content later on.

Add a management email as admin: In the account level as suggested by Aija, add your primary Google account as an admin. I use my main Google account where my Google+ and Google Certification and MCC sit. This way you always have your analytics data at hand on desktop and mobile (great for mobile as you are likely always signed in to your primary account on your phone and dont need to request permission when using Google Analytics App.

Termination: If a client moves on you simply give them the entire account Smiley Happy Clean and easy -- Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tomasz

Thank you for your feedback! It is a good point regarding filtering!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Aija

Yeah your thinking similar to what I am thinking. Create an account for each client site and later on have the possibility to give the client their own admin permission.

I think mainly structure. Having a logical approach to how I have set things up.
Meaning sites that are not my own they have their own account. My own sites for structure sake set them up in one account. But I might as well just keep some of my own sites which already have their own accounts as they are.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Bryan!
Your detailed feedback helps a lot!..Smiley Happy

Merge accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar but different situation. The company I work for is an auto group that owns ten stores, each with its own website, and the person who set up our Analytics made a separate account for every site. This means we have over ten accounts, every one with a single property attached to it. It seems to me that it would be more convenient to merge all of the accounts into one master account and make the websites into properties instead. If for whatever reason we sell a store in the future, we won't need to worry about recording data or passing on ownership of the Analytics account, so user ownership and access is a moot point. We do work with third party vendors occasionally who access our data but I believe this can be assigned on a property level.

Would merging the accounts into one make sense in my situation? Is something like this even possible?

Merge accounts?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bud C

I would still not merge the accounts. I would simply add the email of each account at property level to the master analytics profile (if you have one) that way the accounts stay separate but you can manage them from one analytics profile. 

Merge accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bryan Casson, I suppose I will just leave the accounts alone then. I just had to go through each account to update some settings and it would have saved me a click each time if I could just switch Properties instead of switching Accounts. Thank you for the advice.