Analytics
2.7K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Lost all of my custom dimensions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was trying to use the GA Query Explorer this morning, and I noticed that I couldn't use my custom dimensions. When I went to GA under custom definitions there is nothing listed, even though I previously defined four custom dimensions. I was able to use my custom dimensions yesterday. I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas? 

EDIT: I went in and recreated all of my custom dimensions. It seems that all of the data is intact. Still kind of concerning that they all disappeared. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Douglass B
August

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I believe that this is an acknowledged issue and is being worked on by engineering.

-Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Douglass,

Make sure you have the correct property selected as the data source and you should see the name that you gave your custom dimensions.   If for some reason you are still having trouble the dimension name is ga:dimension1 for the custom dimension in slot 1. 2 for slot 2, etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I double-checked and I do have the correct property selected. I tried manually entering ga:dimension1, but that caused an error. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Douglass, 

You're not alone I just noticed this for a website I look after, all CDs gone. There was nothing in the change history other than Google deleting a view in there two days ago, very strange!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey guys,

If you go to the property settings >> custom defininitions >> custom dimensions do you see them there?  or is it only in hit builder?  What about the sheets plugin or in the UI?

I can't replicate anywhere...

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I went into property settings >> custom definitions >> custom dimensions they were all gone. I didn't get a chance to test the sheets plugin because I went ahead and recreated the the dimensions. 

Re: Lost all of my custom dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi here,

I lost my CDs too.

Nothing in admin >> custom defs >> custom dims

in google support doc they say you can't delete CDs

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Douglass B
August

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I believe that this is an acknowledged issue and is being worked on by engineering.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Lost all of my custom dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have also experienced this problem - all 20 of a client's custom dimensions have vanished. It is as if they were never created - the Custom Dimensions area in the Admin interface simply says 'There is no data for this view.'

On July 26th, all Views that had been configured to use CDs (i.e. narrowing the data with an 'Include' filter) began accumulating all data fired to the property, and Custom Reports which used CDs ceased to function. Like @Douglass B,I have now recreated some of our CDs in the same slots and with identical configurations, and it appears that some historic data is still present. However, product-scoped CDs seem to be the exception - nothing has been preserved and historic data has been lost.

In the Account's Change History, there is nothing on the affected date which would explain why CDs were deleted. The only change logged on July 26th was by 'Analytics System', and it was the deletion of a View which had previously been put in the trash can. Interesting that @Matt H spotted the same pattern.

@Theo Bennett- any word from engineering as to the cause or possible fixes? Thanks.