Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Looking for average performance metrics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm seriously looking for average metrics for content oriented websites (amongst which : culture and institutions), such as the average time on site, pages per view...

I remember Google analytics had done its own review quite a few years ago.

Does someone could indicate me studies/websites/articles where I could find some info ?

(sorry I didn't find the perfect board to ask this kind of questions)

Thanks a million

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Looking for average performance metrics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Amandine
I will suggest you to browse Occam's Razor blog by Avinash Kaushik, here you will get deep understanding of metrics and dimensions also which are useful as per your organization and how to implement that.

http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/best-web-metrics-kpis-small-medium-large-business/
http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/?s=best+metrics

Thanks
Vivek

Re: Looking for average performance metrics

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
I understand your need for this information - it's something my clients ask for a lot. However, I don't believe it's as valuable as we like to think. To begin with, all sites are different and that along can make the numbers hard to compare. Second, average figures for an entire site are pretty meaningless. For example, segmenting by device will almost certainly reveal a large different in bounce rates and time on site for mobile and desktop visitors. The third factor is that GA implementations tend to vary in quality - a poorly implemented cross domain solution can sabotage the data.

Something I did in the past, when I worked in the public sector, was simply ask similar organisations to share their data with me - no one objected (and in many countries, if they are a public organisation, they must give you the data).

Also - and this is the most important thing I think - rather than comparing your site against others, compare your site against previous performance. For example, look at the trends in the metrics which are important to you (for example, pages per session) and figure out if they are going in the direction you expect. Even better, if you have a goal in mind of what it should be.

Absolutely a comparison with other sites can give you a warm feeling that you are on the right track (or not) but for optimising your site or taking a deep dive into the data they will not be so valuable.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.