Analytics
2.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

It is Illegal in Germany, if not, Is there Google guidance on implementing in Germany

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been advised by a customer that have been told that google analytics is illegal in Germany, ( I assume by another analytics supplier) 

Having searched, there seems to be a variety of blogs where they have guides for implementing it, including a reference to signing a contract with Google ref data. 

1. Is there any Google Domain guidance on the legal status of GA in Germany?

2. If not is there a recommended process to follow on Googles site which contains the relevant country specific steps?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: It is Illegal in Germany, if not, Is there Google guidance on implementing in Germany

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Grant,

There was some uproar a few years back when this all started. If I recall correctly, it was stated by Germany that it was illegal because it used the IP address (GA does not store this in reports in any way). Problem is that is how the internet works, the IP address has to be present.

Long story short, the go to guy on this is Brian Clifton (and your attorney), he used to Work for Google, is a GACP and is a thought leader on this subject. You can check out his posts on this here:

https://brianclifton.com/blog/2011/05/20/google-analytics-and-the-new-eu-privacy-law/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn