Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Issues with my VPN

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Eh, resolved enough. Specific details to follow after testing

1 Expert replyverified_user

How does Google have the gall to block VPN users from Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

it is unfortunate that your experience turned out that way. To be frank, your reaction comes off as disproportionate, with a hint of paranoia - which I am pretty sure in unwarranted.

Having said that, based on your remarks it sounds like your VPN provider may either:

- suffer from a DNS issue

- be blacklisted by Google IT, and that usually happens for a good reason

I use a VPN on a daily basis to access Google services and have yet to encounter any kind of issue in that department.

Furthermore, you provide no details as to how exactly you are "blocked". What kind of error messages do you get when connecting to GA over VPN?

Is your VPN set to send complete or partial data over VPN?

There are other verification steps you can take to troubleshoot your connection issues but unless your VPN provider was flagged as hazardous, something else is wrong.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Re: How does Google have the gall to block VPN users from Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Haha alright mate, fair enough. I was in the middle of fixing some other problems, for which google analytics was providing evidence, and this bug occurred. Dev's were notified so all cool for now. I'll try and describe the issue less accusingly.

You use a VPN with GA, that's great. Proves it's possible at least, just not with mine (currently?).

- Do you mind if I ask which? I'm using PIA.

Also, in my haste I pasted the wrong screenshot. I meant this one.

- I then exited PIA, tried again, GA was up.

- I now have PIA back up, and GA is not.

I've done this a few times, and the same happens. Causation seems probable.

Complete. Everything goes through the VPN.

I'd love to see those troubleshooting steps please?

Perhaps it's disproportionate if it is indeed an anomaly. But at the moment, access appears dependent on my VPN being off.

Anything that discourages VPN use warrants a bit of a worry.

Particularly if it's a deal breaker for use at all.

How does Google have the gall to block VPN users from Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I use multiple corporate VPN vendors but can recommend personal VPN vendors such as VyprVPN or StrongVPN (which you'll find with a Google search). Of yourse you could get in touch with your VPN provider to see if other customers have the same issue.

Once connected to your vpn, try the following steps:

- Use an HTTP proxy/analyzer such as Charles Proxy or even Wireshark. then open https://analytics.google.com and look for error codes. Status codes relevant to your problem may be one of the following: 400 (weird but possible), 451 (blocked for legal reasons), 502 or 511.

- Use wget for Windows (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm) and try the following from your command prompt: 
wget https://analytics.google.com 

Either Charles or wget should provide a good explanation as to why this happens.

Happy debugging!

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan